Wet tiled wall

Hi

Pulling bathroom tiles off revealed some wetness, and being tiled there is no obvious route for it to evaporate away. Any ideas on how to get and keep the wall dry? Its an outside brick and block wall, and its around the shower where things have got wet.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Are you sure it's coming in and not going out? Have you checked your grout lines for deteriation (sp?), as the water could be getting down the back of the tiles while you are using the shower!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Yes I assumed thats whats happening. I did find some grout damage, thought not a lot, just hairline cracks. But after regrouting how will the wall dry out? The tiles and grout form an impermeable layer over it.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The only thing you can do really is to let it dry out naturally. Make sure you have removed enough tiles to show all the damp bit and give the wall plenty of fresh air. Then retile and grout up. You will be without the shower for a (how long's a peice of string) time but it shouldn't really take that much time, a couple of days or so. Just don't try to force the drying out process by applying any great amount of heat, a radiator in the room should be OK but nothing direct like a fan heater etc.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Well, in the cirsumstances thats not practical. And the tilings already done. I guess the wall will dry by evaporating into the cavity, from whence the damp will slowly make its way to the great outdoors.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hello N.

Stop it getting wet in the first place, rather than try to keep it dry.

Cracked or dodgy grouting or, more likely, old sealant. Possibly leaking pipe, bad joint.

Outside: Pointing, failed render, leaking gutter/downpipe etc.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Thanks Simon, I'll check that lot out.

Regards, NT