Well OT - The apprentice has feally f****d it up this time

You're missing the point, Charles. It being that many think a single mum on benefits can live well.

Could you live well on just the OAP? Which as I pointed out is rather more?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really? The claim made above gives a total income of £142.54 per week (plus rent paid and probably some reduction in council tax). At the moment the state pension is £115.95 per week.

(Not that I see being a single mother living off the state a desirable situation to be in.)

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Ah but I do, y'see, being friends with her Dad. Mum was a drunkard. Dad brought the bacon home and looked after the two daughters. One girl went to Uni and is doing well, the other hooked up with a feckless boyfriend and now has a kid. Dad used to bring the grandchild to church sometimes because its parents needed some "space".

Fuck off Woddles.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What has that to do with whether or not girls who get pregnant are offered flats and various extras? Several of us here have seen it happen.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's not whether *we* think that, Dave. It's whether the girl thinks that before getting pregnant. At 15 they are hardly going to be budgeting hotshots. So they find out they'll get a flat and all these bennies, then think that means they'll be in clover.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If there aren't any council flats available they will get HB for a private rental.

Of course it's not a life of ease, bringing up a kid on your own is never going to be, but their problem is not going to be want of money

tim

Reply to
tim...

But not in Barnsley

go and look at the rental offerings and you will see many with "first month's rent free"

London crisis this is not

tim

Reply to
tim...

read it again

she was working for him before she got married

(and presumably stopped doing so when the sprog came along)

tim

Reply to
tim...

which will be immediately "spent"

tim

Reply to
tim...

Doesn't surprise me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For two people. Mother and child.

For a single person.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can't be given a council flat if there are none to be given. Simple, innit?

In many places such a mother and child would end up in a pretty grotty private bedsit with shared facilities.

But don't let what you believe get in the way of reality.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, all the bullshit we read here and in much of the press is simply going to confirm that view.

They'll find out all too quickly what reality brings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These girls read uk.d-i-y and newspapers do they? What *are* you smoking, Dave?

Reply to
Tim Streater

That sounds wrong to me. Benefits don't give you a comfortable lifestyle.

Reply to
Clive George

But I work in Doncaster:-)

Reply to
ARW

You'll be able to give him a lift then.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sproglet has yet to put in appearance, 12 weeks to go... Is there help with energy bills as well? Meaning that £142 is pretty much all available to spend on what ever rather than all the normal household bills.

16 yo apprentice rate is £3.30/hour gross. I doubt either get paid for lunch though so make that 35 hours paid...

Quite, work your socks of an end up less well off than slobbing out in front of daytime telly...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

It might have been wishful thinking, but I thought I saw that the system was being changed so after some date (next year ?), you only get benefits for the first two, any that appear after that are your problem.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

You've actually missed some things there, and neglected to include fixed-cost outgoings. As for variable costs, I'm not sure if you or Joe Joe think that overall, that comes to 'furniture and a nice weekly handout'.

And where does the council flat magic itself from?

Reply to
RJH