Water in washing machine

I have a new Hotpoint washer / dryer. It's only about a month old.

Before I shout at the supplier, has anyone any ideas why after use and being empty (dry), it will gradually fill up with water even when powered down.

Could it be a water pressure problem?

I have had several washing machines / dishwashers in this house and never had this problem before.

Steve........

Reply to
dog-man

Could be, but more likely either a faulty solenoid valve or perhaps some crud stuck in it. Try taking out the filter in the valve inlet and checking that before calling the repair man.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Should be designed to cope with any water pressure it is likely to meet, more likely a dodgy inlet valve, or something has got into the valve preventing it sealing.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Unless your water pressure is very high then no.

Which indicates that your water pressure is not a problem.

It's new FFS! Stop faffing about and get onto your supplier to sort it out for free under the warranty.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Inlet valve letting past is most likely as others have said.

Another possibility is the waste plumbing. If it's been done incorrectly, you might have the sink and/or other waste entering the machine via the waste hose. This will usually start to pong eventually as it's not clean water.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can't be the waste outlet as it is a standpipe and that was the first thing I checked. No blockages or anything wrong there.

The water that comes into the machine seems to be clean, so I believe it is coming from the water inlet.

I think I will contact the supplier as I don't see why I should concern myself with it after only a month or so.

Steve..........

Reply to
dog-man

Flake of scale in the solenoid valve. Take it apart and fettle it, or replace with one scrounged from a dead machine.

Reply to
Skipweasel

t the supplier, has anyone any ideas why after use and

Yes if it's some grit from the water supply or some scale that was loosened by installing the new machine, which is now blocking the inlet valve from completely closing, the supplier may not consider it warranty? However if it's a faulty inlet water valve one would consider it to be the suppliers responsibility for the warranty period?

Reply to
terry

Possibly but this a new machine, less than a month old. As I said stop faffing about and get it fixed under warranty. If you (the OP) start piddling with it they'll just say you borked it and bye bye warranty...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The damn thing is a month old. It was installed and is now faulty. That's it.

Why are you even contemplating dicking around with it?

All you need to do is to call the supplier and insist that they come and fix it, and not get into a discussion with them as to why it may have a problem.

The solution is almost certainly that they would replace the solenoid valve, a component costing ten pounds at the most. They are highly unlikely to take it apart and look - it would cost more than the part and attendance cost.

Reply to
Andy Hall

As the valves tend to be sealed you cannot get to their innards. I believe that the water pressure is used to shut off the flow. Would it be possible to electrically open the valve and back flush it somehow???

Reply to
John

The *only* reason to pay over-the-top new prices for anything is the warranty. Make use of it!

Reply to
PCPaul

You wouldn't need to apply power - just backflushing will do, the valve will open on its own in a reverse flow situation.

Reply to
Skipweasel