Virus?

at
I agree. We use an old laptop with Win2000 with a smashed tft screen. One cm in the corner still works and you can guess what's happening by the colour in it :-} (or remote access if we can be bothered/ it has crashed). Plenty of free firewalls about too.
[18 lines snipped]

What he said.
There are Linux distros specifically desgned for this. Smoothwall is one such.

of
world,
firewall
Why bother with extra security, when the one your using at the moment is three updates behind?
Brad.

up.
Has any new malicious viruses come out in two weeks?

one
Well, if you open attachments to bogus emails you'll soon find out ;-)
Brad.

A highly rated firewall comes from ZoneAlarm, www.zonealarm.com I think.
There is a basic free version and free automatic upgrades for any new types of "evil" out there.
I've used it for the past couple of months and am very pleased.
On 8 Oct 2003 04:51:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Justin Hughes) wrote:

It is better than nothing, but keep in mind that it is only as good as the underlying environment. In the case of Windows, that is very questionnable since it is quite easy to attack Windows (especially anything Win9x based) in such a way that buffers are overrun. This can then provide access where you didn't imagine that it would be.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 07:06:59 +0100, Ian Clowes

There are starting to be, although for home users I think that this is some clever marketing since some operators limit ports anyway to stop you running servers and using more network bandwidth than they would like.
In the business sector there are plenty of people offering managed firewall services with CPE that they operate for the customer.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

servers.
Free: http://www.zonelabs.com

Fairly poor, however.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And what of the "pay for" pro version? I've heard kinds words said about it, were they wrong?
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

I find ZA Pro a pretty reasonable software firewall for 'doze boxen; as a networking geek it's a bit tedious to have to fight through a whole load of "advanced" menus to be able to specify simple things like protocol and port numbers, but the per-program control which ZA Pro gives - and in the current version, detailed "real" firewall rules too - gives me a degree of control I feel happy with. Its presets - for the less terminally geeky - seem pretty sound as a starting point.
As Andy Hall points out, running a software-only firewall on top of the leaky bucket which is Windows in its various guises only stops some forms of attack: denial-of-service crud which hits the box before any ZoneAlarm routines have a chance to run will still get through, as will other low-level tricks like overlapping packet fragments (though ZA claims to be able to at least reject fragmented packets). It's safer to have a less known-exploitable device as the first port of arrival for packets from Out There - a hardware firewall and/or a Linux/OpenBSD box running a minimal and up-to-date kernel with routing policy suitably defined, for example. But ZoneAlarm, or the similar Norton or Sygate products, or even WinXP's built-in IP filtering, is better than nothing.
HTH - Stefek
On 7 Oct 2003 21:10:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

Up to a point yes, it does. I'm mulling over what to do when I upgrade things in this area. As things stand I'm using a number of copies of ZAPro, and I have NAT on my router, and as far as I can tell it's stopping stuff the whole time and I've seen nothing to suggest it's not fine in general.
However which way to go next time is something which still has me scratching my head a bit. I'm not all that keen on using a whole machine just to run a firewall, as it seems a bit wasteful of what are pretty modest resources already. I might if I could find the "perfect" "telecomms side" unit to do the connecting to the net with; although quite impressive, well specified at it's price point, and with many happy users, the Netgear range is not without it's issues (remember the "time server" debacle on one or two of their models!).
I have yet to find something which seems to have pretty much "no issues", and enough good features, but with anything like a sensible price tag for home use. I absolutely require it to present me with ethernet as it's connection method, whatever make and model it may turn out to be. USB won't do for me in that respect.
Not all that easy to strike a truly comfortable balance at the moment sadly, I'm hoping it might change as time passes though.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Why not get hold of an old PC from a computer sale and stick a couple of NICs in it and run Smoothwall or similar? Total cost probably under 100 and no Linux knowledge needed.

That's a tall order. There are dedicated hardware firewalls like Firebrick, but you are talking about 400+ for one of these.
Another option is the Cisco 830 series routers (831 for ethernet to ethernet or 837 for ADSL) These are just over 300 and are very well featured with optional extra software feature sets if you want them.
http://tinyurl.com/q4ht

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It sure is! ;O)
I keep reading specs, and some days bring a little more hope than others. I really glad it's not an urgent matter; I'd end up broke or barmy over it! some of the Zyxel stuff seems interesting at present. Not enough users about to get any very conclusive owner opinions yet though.
Thanks for the advice. BTW, I'm not tight by any stretch, but on one or two items down the years, I've noted (with hindsight) that I paid too much for what turned out to be underspeced goods when the chips were down. Having become wary of that, I now really enjoy finding a bargain due to doing adequate research. That I do it seems to annoy some, I can only imagine they never tried it, or at least did not get a result that way, perhaps they're just plain daft! ;O) (present company....... etc.)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

The trouble is that any of these are only as good as the underlying system. Windows NT derived environments such as NT, 2000 and XP are not too bad, but anything that is 95/98/ME based is really a house of cards. It doesn't matter how good the firewall application is, if the underlying components can be compromised or hit in such a way as to collapse, then it doesn't matter.
Also people tend to pack too much onto a single machine. Some server capabilities, security and assorted shareware of dubious origin are typical.
Having a Windows machine with a personal firewall is better than nothing but lulls the user into a sense of false security.
It's much better to use a pensioned off machine as a separate firewall. There are predigested Linux distributions which require no general sysadmin.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

have
implement.
"Free" and some protection.

IMM wrote:

Another free firewall to look at is Outpost:
http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost /
--
Cheers,

John.