Varnish

I have a pine bath panel that needs some treatment before fitting. Haven't decided whether to paint it or leave it plain but varnished in some way. Whilst searching for bathroom varnishes I came acroses this:

from the price which seems a bit excessive, is ther anything better to apply to my panel?

Reply to
Grumps

this:

Apart from the price which seems a bit excessive, is ther anything better to

I would suggest an equal mixture of non-water based varnish, Danish oil, and white spirits. If you apply multiple coats with a rag and wipe off the surplus after a few minutes, letting it dry between coats, you will get a water-proof finish that has soaked into the wood. You might need to do this half a dozen times to get a really good surface. the advantage over straight varnish is that it will soak inot the wood and protect it better. Varnish sits on the surface and can flake off/ get worn.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Grumps wibbled on Wednesday 16 December 2009 09:39

Last time I did a pine bath panel, I used an exterior grade microporous sealer. It's thinner, tends to sink in rather than site on the surface and it lasted very well. Came out with a satin finish and looked pretty decent.

I forget which one - might have been one of the Cuprinol products.

Reply to
Tim W

Apart from the price which seems a bit excessive, is ther anything better to

The best result is from West (or similar) Epoxy coatings. It's almost certainly not worth the cost for a bathroom though.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ