UPVC windows: Locking strip/mechanism repairable?

One of my UPVC windows has a locking strip that no longer works. The handle 's shaft turns okay, but it doesn't cause the sliding strip with the lockin g studs to slide at all. I took the handle off, and the shaft is still good and square and so is the hole into which it fits. So the problem is somewh ere else. Is there any way to fix this, without replacing the whole window?

Thanks, JD

Reply to
wasaol

Replacement gearboxes are available (if yours has one).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its a very common problem that the mechanism breaks inside.

The parts are readily available and quite affordable, well they were for the ones I had trouble with.

Orders of magnitude cheaper than replacing the whole window, and less disruptive.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Take some pictures and post them on the internet.

These people are very helpful.

Michael Chare

Thanks to all for the replies. You've really made my day! I thought the strip looked unremoveable, but after reading Fredxxx's reply, I tried removing the screws and the whole enchilada came out, easy as pie! Woohoo!

~JD

Reply to
wasaol

ndle's shaft turns okay, but it doesn't cause the sliding strip with the lo cking studs to slide at all. I took the handle off, and the shaft is still good and square and so is the hole into which it fits. So the problem is so mewhere else. Is there any way to fix this, without replacing the whole win dow?

oor-handles.html

Thanks! I was going to ask where I might get an identical replacement. They seem to be a very non-standard item that vary a lot between different wind ow manufacturers.

JD

Reply to
wasaol

Look closely, I bet there's a manufacturer's name or logo stamped into it somewhere, sometimes even the screws are stamped.

Reply to
Andy Burns

upvc-door-handles.html

There don't seem to be all that many different manufacturers of the actual units.

Oh, a lesson perhaps for many. Do some maintenance on the windows..clean, oil, grease. I just did mine for the first time ever, and was amazed at how much improved the mechanism is - much less force required on the handle!

(I was only inspired to do it after cleaning the curtain rail and realising how much difference that made)

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's brill. The biggest problem I had was opening the window after the casting had broken around the square "hole".

Window people just wanted to change the whole window, and of course it wouldn't have matched the others.

There are a few websites that deal with double glazing hardware. I had to cut things down to size and some screw holes were in a different place.

With luck there will be a part number on your window hardware you can lookup with various suppliers.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Bob Eager wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

+1
Reply to
DerbyBorn

  • another 1 Taa for the reminder, I'll be doing this tomorrow.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire