upvc windows in conservation area.

Lots, actually, since I've been involved for many years with PHAB - Physically Handicapped and Able Bodied.

What's your point?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which was?

That's a subjective view.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My point was that if it was a problem for her she could have approached you before.

But it hadn't been a problem before ... apparently.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

He really has no idea Mary. The fact is that all he has no rational argument to put but just sheer bigotry. Best ignore him. Even better kill file him!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

The church could be adapted without costing a huge amount and without spoiling its (OK probably to our tastes horrid Victorian Gothic) character. It's been done a lot. If there was a local will for community activities that would have happened already.

I've been involved in community activities and even fought for - and won - community centres and playgrounds. Sadly, it's too much bother for people to use them, they prefer to watch telly or play in the street rather than walk a couple of hundred yards so all our work has and public money been wasted.

If there was a huge demand there would be even more powerful petitions to overcome the protestors'.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, because I like Andy in some ways. Everyone has a blind spot.

Except me of course... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When the law is an ass, her duty is to break it. That's how laws get changed to resemble common sense. As I see it, the local council is infringing on her human rights. Maybe that's the next step. As has been said in the past, "I don't agree with your views(home) but I defend your right to have those views and to live as you please in your own home"

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

If she had simply contacted The Sun instead of The Times, the local council would probably have been leaned upon by Nu Labur to ensure that commonsense was used.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Oh, it can be worse than that !

I have conditions on my house which specify that I can't:

Paint my wooden windows any colour but off-white Change any window or external door (so no upvc->wood or vice-versa) Put up a garden shed, garage, summerhouse or greenhouse

Without consent from the council :-(

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Even better kill file him!

The last resort of a scoundrel? LOL

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

In message , Mary Fisher writes

but maybe it was something which would become more of a problem in the future (as in getting bigger) and the CA status proposal stirred her into action.

Reply to
chris French

Not an acceptable proposal, too close to common sense. Doesn't employ enough civil servants.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Just don't mention Leylandii :-)

It depends. As I read your post and got to "Planning permission was granted and no conditions have been imposed regarding plastic windows.", I thought "Aha, they're in the clear" but your paragraph below may indicate otherwise.

Does the consent mention something along the lines of "All materials must be approved by the planning department" (which would include windows) or is it more specific "All bricks and slates must be approved" ?

If the latter, you're OK, if the former, you'll have to persuade the relevant planner that upvc is appropriate. This is by no means impossible, some planners are very reasonable people and would hopefully be open to the argument that upvc is in use in the locality.

Good luck,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Unless it were a eucalyptus or leyland it's unlikely to grow much more after

25 years. I wonder if they'd becovered under conservation :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Simply that this should take precedence over the titting around by petty bureaucrats with nothing better to do.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's where the beauty of personal choice comes in. You should be free to purchase a house with inferior wooden fittings if you so desire. This is how British villages developed, with everybody doing their own thing. Grade 11 listing and conservation areas are anathema to a progressive democratic way of life and should be removed as fast as possible from the nation. If you want this type of regulated society, then run a local referendum and get 66% of all the registered voters to agree to it, otherwise, form a company, sell shares and purchase a village where all the inhabitants are prepared to pay for their beliefs.

Or do you believe in the political divine righteousness of simply telling others how to live?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

She was unable to use the heavy door. What would have been the point in replacing the apparently well chosen lighter one?

It is, based simply on the point that a disabled human being should be more highly valued than a wooden front door if it comes to a choice between the two as it has in this case.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They are :-(

The species doesn't matter, if the tree is over 7.5 cm thick (I think)

1.5 metres above ground level in a CA, then it's protected.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

I would put it to you that you are the one with no idea, Peter.

There is a completely rational point based on how somebody with a serious disability has been treated in comparison with a wooden front door.

I appreciate aesthetic quality and would prefer that if this door did indeed have merit that it would have been retained.

This wasn't possible in this case, and there was a clear conflict between legislation relating to access for the disabled and conservation.

A sensible local authority would have realised that the obvious precedence is to the needs of the disabled person.

It surprises me that anybody can be so insensitive as not to realise that.

It's noticable that whenever a question is asked in which officialdom and regulation could possibly become involved in a situation, you always seem to be first in line to point this out.

Tell me, are you a planning official or traffic warden or something?

At the very least, the bigotry, is wholly on your part.

Reply to
Andy Hall

What - the number of polio folk I know?

I still don't understand ...