uPVC windows: handle/lock is broken

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Anyone got tips on replacing/repairing uPVC window handles?

The problem is with a small casement window. The handle is stuck in the
open position, due North and won't turn into the closed position, due
West.

The handle has a pushbutton/keyhole combination on it. Is it easy to
"swap out" such a dodgy handle?

Bruce

Re: uPVC windows: handle/lock is broken

Flick through yellow pages for a local uPVC supplier, you'll find they're
all pretty much the same and cost about a fiver. Maybe take the old one to
compare screw centres but they'll be the same almost guaranteed.

Re: uPVC windows: handle/lock is broken
Depends on age. Obsolescence may mean having to replace the whole
window.

Re: uPVC windows: handle/lock is broken
maureen1066@hotmail.com says...
Absolutely false.
With the handle in the "open" position it is simple to remove by
releasing two screws.

Whether the locking system is Cockspur or Espagnolette the OP will be
able to replace, the fittings are almost universal.  A local fabricator
can probably supply from stock.

--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

Re: uPVC windows: handle/lock is broken

Screwfix stock them !

AWEM

Re: uPVC windows: handle/lock is broken
All the recent ones I've seen were compatible. They seem to be held on
with just one screw under white cap .. easy to swap out. 2 local
installers here gave me several samples for nothing.
However, it could be your problem is the actual window lock mechanism,
much more difficult to fix.. Remove handle, if mech won't turn even with
wrench on square spigot, get local supplier to investigate.

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline