Updating a property soon to be sold

I'll shortly have the task of helping an elderly relative sell his 1960s two-bedroom semi-detached bungalow. I'll be taking advice from local estate agents of course, but what's the current thinking about making improvements as opposed to selling as-is? Kitchen and bathroom are undoubtedly dated - both were fairly basic installs about twelve years ago, the kitchen a fairly low-end Wickes job and the coloured-suite bathroom sourced and installed by a professional fitter - but both are perfectly serviceable and useable.

How do I balance the costs of refitting against the possible increased revenue? Or should I consider that "new kitchen and bathroom" is a good incentive to buyers in a still fairly slow market and do it just to help the sale irrespective of the monetary side?

Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Personally, a coat of paint and/or good clean all over works the best for least input.

If it basically bright and airy, but the bathroom and/or kitchen "need updating" then it can be viewed as an "opportunity" without being too daunting because the rest of teh house is bright and habitable.

12 years is not "dated" - sounds perfectly serviceable. Would spending many thousands on a new kitchen give you that much extra on the sale price?
Reply to
Tim Watts

A local estate agent is far more likely to give valid advice than anyone on this or any other NG. The only reason the market is "slow" s most likely due to sellers asking too high a price.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Peter and Tim, thanks for the replies.

Tim,

I doubt it very much, but then I wasn't thinking of spending anything like that amount. A decent basic DIY kitchen (with no appliances) plus a similar bathroom could be done for a couple of thousand or even less, surely?

Peter, that's clearly sage advice about consulting local agents.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Kerb appeal , bungalow implies some sort of front garden area, tidy and looks easy to maintain?

12 years ago, its this century , unless its falling apart or very individual taste.

Looked at a flat couple of years ago, high end kitchen , in probably

1975, built in 6 ring electric range with split level grill and roto- spit.

All finished in tasteful orange , the bathroom was a similar time capsule canary yellow.

Despite the presentation , someone had shaved lots off doors to try and cover serious movement.

wiring , plumbing are in resonable ondition having been attended to this century, check.

General decor looks fresh, magnolia comes in big buckets, and satin white on anything wooden, neutral carpets, in cheapest material available, selling not living with it.

Leaves a buyer to decide on fixtures and preferred finishes over time, with feeling that it`s in reasonably sound condition and tolerable to move into.

Time and money risk of overun on kitchen/bathroom refit as well as enthusiasm running low for general tidy up afterwards.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Yes to both of those.

No to both of those.

Plumbing certainly. Wiring, don't think so. I've no reason to think there's anything wrong, but I don't believe there's been any electrical work (beyond what was necessary when the central heating went in) for quite some years.

Sounds sensible. Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

It changes the choices. If its a cheapish house, and you expect to sell to a couple on a tight budget etc then a 'new everything' will probably improve salability.

If its a valuable location and a decent house, chances are whoever moves in will spend a load of dosh and rip out everything anyway. Before extending the crap out of it and sticking Predator Vultures on the roof.

wasnt worth doing anything beyond cleaning to my mothers house. When I went back at her funeral 5 years later the new owners had ripped the shit out of it and stuck extra rooms /patios in every available piece of garden.

Good thing I didn't give a shit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Absolutely. They know what sells and why.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I emigrated in 2008 and knowing I'd be selling into a soft market I decided to sort out everything that could be picked up by a buyer - so new kitchen, windows, RCD CU etc etc. Complete mistake - I ended up having to accept a knockdown price from someone who then gutted the place and started again.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yep, my mothers place was a complete dump, 1916 mid-terrace. Kitchen needed gutting, and the loo, and the shower room. Uneven quarry tiled floor in living room, sloping floor in 'front-room', cracks in upstairs walls due to it being built on old mine-workings etc etc. I thought stuff-it, gonna cost an arm and leg to sort this. Maybe worth 25K tops. Got 60K for it, last year.

Reply to
brass monkey

In many cases it makes more sense to save the money, and if needs be, knock that amount off the asking price. The overall cost to the buyer is that way the same, but at least they get a kitchen etc of their choice.

Reply to
John Rumm

Having just been through similar with my own property;

Bathroom & kitchen are critical. White bathroom suite, coloured is a definite no-no.

Facelift the kitchen by changing the doors, drawer fronts & worktops.

Paint everywhere white satin & magnolia.

Make sure you have sufficient 'kerbside appeal'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I face lifted my kitchen for £500 with doors & drawer fronts, bathroom came to about the same. That was doing it all myself of course.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It is possible - if you do 100% DIY. But it's a lot of work. The comments by another poster regarding new cabinet doors is valid - that makes it an easy job.

New worktop should not be too hard - especially as you have the old one as a template.

Would the tiles look "new" with some grout cleaning/whitener? For comparision, I sold an old red Daewoo Lanos. As is customary amongst my mates, I went to town on a good hoover, wash, Amourall inside and ColourMagic polish on the outside.

Took some first rate pictures in good light and place the Autotrader ad. I had a dozen phone calls withing 24 hours and sold it in 3 days for cash. It was a good runner - but it was the superficial shininess that got the calls in. Notice I said "superficial".

This is why a coat of paint can go a long way, but equally, IMHO a very clean "dated" kitchen could do better than a slightly skanky newer one. Ditto bathroom. Coloured suite would not bother me, but scummy grout, manky carpet and flaky paint would, even though I should know better.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It is very location-specific. Some years ago, an agent said to someone near me, you'll get £150k, or £170 if you put some flowers in the front garden. He was right for that location.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

As long as a house is in a move-in-and-unpack state, as TMH puts it, that's good enough. It was annoying when we were house hunting 3 years ago, to find houses for sale with almost-new kitchens that we absolutely hated.

We would have lived with a 12 year old kitchen provided nothing was actually broken or needing immediate repair - as long as you could function.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Watch a few episodes of "Phil Spencer Secret Agent".

Basically de-clutter, clean (esp. carpets), tidy and dress it nicely. Make sure all the rooms are shown with a sensible purpose.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'd say it would depend on the market sector. If a first time buyer type of place making it suitable for just move in and do nothing might appeal. For more mature buyers who are likely to want their own taste it could just be wasting money.

If it is decorated in 'old' fashions, brightening it up may be worthwhile. But the person to ask is a decent estate agent who knows the area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll shortly have the task of helping an elderly relative sell his 1960s two-bedroom semi-detached bungalow. I'll be taking advice from local estate agents of course,

IME EA's advice will be "we think it's better for you to sell as is" which translated means "we want to get our commission ASAP". Until it doesn't sell when they will say "well what do you expect having not updated whatever!"

Unless you know them as personal friends, waste of time asking them IMHO.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The big question is will it actually increase the price you get for the house enough to make it worth while? Probably not.

Reply to
mogga