Unusual Transformer, was Re: How essential dust shutters on wall socket?

>>You seem to have either not read properly what the OP asked or read it

> >>and failed to understand - he was talking about mains sockets i.e. > >>240V > > {pedant} > > Isn't it officialy 230V now? > > {/pedant} > > > (Gets multi-meter out) > 245V, about 100 meters from

this:

-- > Graham. > > %Profound_observation%
Reply to
alexander.keys1

this:

Still 240V and will stay that way:

John Rumm

link, that is 230V +10% -6% but as 240V is within that tolerances there is no actual need to physically change anything.

What hasn't happened and the last I heard very unlikely to happen is the tolerance change to +/- 10%. The main reason being that 207 to 253v is really far to large a range of voltage to be accomodated.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

230V may be the official figure, but the supply in the UK actually remains at 240V +/- 6% as before. The EU diktat does not require the changing of supply voltages, instead it requires equipment to be suitable for use on 230V +10%/-6%, so that it will be fine on our supply, but also fine on other European supplies of various specs that also fall within the overall EU spec.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not so sure, I bet if you complained that your supply was below 225v (240v

-6%) but above 216v (230v -6%) they'd say no fault within spec.

The fact that the infrastructure hasn't chnaged means that 240 +/-6% is what most people will have but that extra few volts on the lower end mean they can load things up more and still remain within spec without having to upgrade anything.

At least at the other end you can complain about more than 253v instead of

254.4v B-)

The move of the spec to 230v +/-10% that should have happened years ago hasn't yet and I hope it never does.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We had a 217v brownout recently - flourescent tubes were flickering, server UPS whining & bleeping, very noticable. They came straight out (Sunday evening) found a fault in a substation and put it back to 236v with a cheery smile.

Reply to
Steve Walker
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Steve Walker wrote: | Dave Liquorice wrote: || On Fri, 8 May 2009 21:58:39 +0100, Steve Walker wrote: || |||||

> [...]

Not like what happened near here then, some dastard broke in & somehow nicked a load of copper from a substation, causing brownouts & power cuts to the immediate area. A week later they're still working on putting it right.

1 question, how on earth (no pun intended) did they steal it in the first place without 'browning out' themselves (pun intended)?
Reply to
Kráftéé

In message , Kráftéé writes

Meh, close to here they nicked a load of copper and managed to cut off half a town's telephones, took BT over a week to restore it all.

They quite often don't manage that. Darwinian selection at its finest IMHO.

Reply to
Clint Sharp
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Clint Sharp wrote: | In message , Kráftéé | writes || Not like what happened near here then, some dastard broke in & || somehow nicked a load of copper from a substation, causing || brownouts & power cuts to the immediate area. A week later || they're still working on putting it right. | Meh, close to here they nicked a load of copper and managed to cut | off half a town's telephones, took BT over a week to restore it all.

Yes I have heard rumours about such things happening, I've even heard of one case where they ripped fibre out the ground/box thinking it was copper.. || || 1 question, how on earth (no pun intended) did they steal it in the || first place without 'browning out' themselves (pun intended)? || || | They quite often don't manage that. Darwinian selection at its | finest IMHO.

Reply to
Kráftéé

In a substation there will be handy switches for turning things off... Mind you the pikeys that do this sort of think aren't the brightest sparks in the box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But could be. If only for a brief period of time. }:-)

Reply to
Yoss1960