Non-standard high voltage supplies, was Re: How essential dust shutters on wall socket?

It's certainly an unusual transformer, if that's what it is, I've never seen one like it .

20 kV is used quite a bit in the North-East, especially for overhead lines, it was established by the old 'Newcastle Electricity Supply Co.' before nationalisation, as is 66 kV for parts of the regional grid there, they had the highest voltage in use before the original 132 kV National Grid.
Leicester, where I live now, still has a lot of 6.6 kV, with huge two- storey substations in the older parts of the city. Anybody know much about these?