Unoccupied house insurance

I am renovating a property which at the moment is unoccupied. I would like to have building insurance but am having difficulty obtaining this as it is unoccupied. I am there every day working.

So I'm looking for insurance companies that would take this on.

mark

Reply to
mark

Go to an Insurance Broker rather than direct to the insurance company.

Reply to
OG

I was arranging a mortgage on a simalar property with Nationwide, and they quoted me for the same situation no problems!

Reply to
Toby

So it is occupied... by you, you eat, drink and work there, the only thing you don't do is sleep!(unless of course you take a siesta)

I second the local broker, I insure bike, cars, house (well I do now.. but thats another story!) and they were better than online quotes with the advantage I can go in and see someone face to face.

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

That may be true, but the Insurance Company will probably see things differently, and it's your duty to advice the IC of any material facts that might reasonably affect their assessment of the risk.

Reply to
OG

In message , Dieseldes writes

can you do better than aunty carole ?

Reply to
geoff

Of course it isn't occupied, in insurance company terms.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Had the same problem while administering my mother's estate. Forget which company I found, but ISTR the premium was bumped up 50%.

Reply to
newshound

Usually the people who you have your own current house insurance with will do it - CIS did it for us and when chatting to the lass on the phone, she said that it's normal for others to refuse but existing company to accept.

Reply to
John

Yes, last year, but just having had a mail shot in for auntie C, I tell you in a couple of days!!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

In identical circumstances I used

was underwritten by Ocaso. Not particularly cheap, for sure, but not as bad as most and at least they didn't impose all the damned fool exclusions that several other outfits did.

Can't really reccomend them unreservedly as I never had to claim on the policy, but had no problems with them otherwise.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Dieseldes writes

I'll send you details - the blade's up for renewal on, I think, the 25th

email's valid, I take it, if not, mine is

Reply to
geoff