House upgrades + property tax

I'm planning to upgrade our house with the following:

- electric panel upgrade from 100 - 200 amps

- replace septic (not sure yet if we'll do it now but in the next 1-5 years)

- add storage shad

Does anyone know it these upgrades will increase my property tax as I have to get permits from the town? I leave in NJ.

Also my neighbor offered me his nice above ground pool. Any idea how will the pool affect my property taxes? Does it depend on pool size and type (above/in ground) ?

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
JackpipE

Your increase will be $147.50 with electrical, add $137.75 for the septic.

Above ground pool will add $166.

You can store the shad in the freezer for free.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Every state in the US is different. In some states every county is different.

Looking at what you are considering, I would suggest there will be little or no increase in most locations as they will add little to the value of the home.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 03:51:26 -0000, JackpipE wrote Re House upgrades + property tax:

Where I live they would not result in a tax increase.

This would lead to an increase IF the shed was "attached" to a foundation instead of just "resting" on blocks.

Oh, if in NJ then all of the above will result in large property tax increases.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

In NY, regarding what will raise your taxes, every town, city, and municipality is different. [and as for *how much* they will increase things depends on school district, so in the same town there might be

3 or more different amounts]

The only way to find out is to call the municipality where you live. Call from a pay phone and don't identify yourself if you're afraid to mention what you're planning.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'm in New Jersey as well. Given the financial condition of the state I wouldn't be surprised if you were received tax increases for all of your permanent improvements. Usually a storage shed that is not built on a solid foundation is not taxed and portable above ground pools are usually not considered improvements. I think where they really zing it to you is when you add square footage to the living space such as an addition or finished basement.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I live in NJ too and I would say you will not receive any tax increase for any of that work.

Electrical panel upgrade should be a non-issue. When they do re- appraisals, AFAIK, the appraisers never look at the electrical panel capacity. It's generally a very small factor in the overall property valuation, not worth their time. I would suspect that the local tax assesor would have the same position.

Replace the septic system is definitely a non-issue. You are not adding anything, just replacing what is already there.

Shed is a non issue as long as it's not on a foundation and most are used without a foundation.

Above ground pool is a non-issue for the same reason as the shed, ie it's not a permanent attached part of the property. An inground pool would increase your assessment.

You can call up the assessor's office and ask all of the above if you want to know for sure.

Reply to
trader4

on 9/14/2007 11:51 PM JackpipE said the following:

Where I live, upgrades, repairs, or replacements, do not increase taxes. Most can not be seen, or even show on building plans submitted when the house was built Additions do increase taxes, after a new tax assessment. Sheds and pools may. All depends upon your local tax office. Check with them.

Reply to
willshak