Slight OT-water charges for unoccupied house?

I have a house which is slowly undergoing renovation and has been empty for a year. It has a water meter fitted and only a very small amount of water is used when we visit maybe four times last year. Can water companies still require full payment of standing charges for supply/drainage/surface water etc? ta

tarquinlinbin

Yes, basically from the last reading to the present.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No just tell them it's empty and you should get a zero charge. If you tell them you're renovating it you might get a 'building water' charge - a flat fee of 20 or 30 GBP IIRC. And every 3 months they'll assume you've finished and will send out a 'Welcome to your new home' pack and threaten you with disconnection if you don't contact them pronto. (same as b****y TV licensing - don't get me started).

That's what happened to me anyway, with United Utilities - YMMV.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sorry, didn't spot the 'water meter' reference. That may alter things, but I can't believe you should be paying the same as a full resident.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The day the deeds where handed over the water board should have been contacted and they would have then sent out a maintence bod to turn off the supply. Any outstanding bill would then have been forwarded to the previous owner.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , tarquinlinbin writes

Hi,

I have refurbished several flats over the past few years and I have always asked United Utilities to cease charging, which they have.

I dont know how it goes with a meter showing some use, but it's worth a try.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

My father was in hospital for a long period and then moved to a residential home without returning home. When we eventually contacted the water company he was given a full refund from the day he went in to hospital as the property was empty. The property was on a meter.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq