Insulating Bathroom Wall..

In the next week or so I'm going to get my bathroom wall plasterboarded on to battens .This is an outside wall and to help heat retention I was proposing to put insulation material between the battens . It's a cold room during the winter . I take it that there will be no problems doing this and is it the same stuff that gets used for loft insulation I should be using .?? I'll be securing it (at the top at least) to stop it slumping down .
Stuart

Id suggest a foilbacked polystyrene. The foil will reflect body heat back towards you, and the polystyrene will help keep the air warm.
Steve
Stuart wrote:

You'd be better off using Kingspan or Celotex rigid insulation boards; they are much more efficient than fibreglass wool, so you'd need much less thickness to achieve the same level of insulation. (They also lend themselves to insulating vertical surfaces!). How deep were you proposing to make your battens? Hope you have a big bathroom...
David
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:03:18 GMT, Lobster

I've got enough trouble getting 8' x 4' p/board up 2 flights of stairs without adding to that problem with other boards .....The batten faces are about 40mm off the wall........the bathroom is about 4.5m x 1.4 m but why did you ask that ??
Stuart ps..when I said before it is an exterior wall ,it's actually on a staircase so it's not totally exterior but it is still cold but not affected by ,for example,rain..
Stuart wrote:

Just that if you had a dinky (say) 2m x 1.2m bathroom, you could easily reduce the floor area by 10% by battening out two walls - obviously the effect is less marked with a bigger room.

Is it really worth doing then? What's the temperature gradient going to be across this wall - how much cooler (compared to outside) will the stairway be compared to the bathroom?
David
David
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:31:54 GMT, Lobster

Well it's not a stairway as in a modern block of flats .carpeted,external door etc,etc .It is a tenemnet so the staicase gets cold as there is no external door and the wind whistles up and down the stair . Stuart
Stuart wrote:

At that depth use celotex/kingspan.
If you use the foil tape to secure it to the studs, you won't need foil backed plasterboard. Mind you belt and braces...
Stuart wrote:

Best of all is celotex, rather than rockwool - twice the insulation per unit depth..
But rockwool works fine - about 4-6" is good. You Should not need to secure it.
DO use foil backed plasterboard in a bathroom, to avoid condensation inside the walls.