Uneven door frame

Any ideas on a work flow to correct this:

One side of the frame is higher than the other, and the door (reasonably level) is letting through a draft at the higher end, from the cellar. I'd also like to tidy up the tatty plasterboard. The area behind the clock is the understairs void.

I've got a reasonable set of tools, a stock of 6mm ply, plasterboard and timber. I can't, however, figure out the best and neatest way of tackling it.

Reply to
RJH

Assuming as you have said above the door is plasterboard presumably on a frame.

  1. Rip out door frame and plasterboard including any framework it is attached to.
  2. Replace frame making sure it is vertical and level if existing frame is a mess mend it with a new one.
  3. Reconstruct a stud framework above door and cover with PB
  4. Use dry lining filler to cover screw holes in PB and any joins.
  5. The same filler can be used to make good any damage to plasterwork in the corners using dry lining corner tape for reinforcement
  6. Replace architrave
  7. Hang door
  8. Paint

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Remove door and true it square as necessary.

Assess old lining, probly look to replace for simplicity?

Size new (resize old?) lining to suit door dimensions, install, rehang door.

You may be fortunate in that an architrave will cover most sins from removing old lining & installing new, so possibly bit of skimming/filling around.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

One end looks as though it has collapsed? Level it up, pack out with filler, and pin a piece of wood/mdf to the existing top part of the frame. Introduce a stop bead if there isn't already one. I could do all that by 6.30 :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Did you chop out any of that plasterboard? (Just trying to assess if the frame has actually moved).

Depending on what is actually going on, you may need to strip the PB off and remake the studwork and refit the door lining etc.

However, you may be able to get away with chopping a short section out of the lining on the left hand jamb[1], to allow the top rail to drop on that side. Pack any gaps between top of the lining and the studwork above, and then make good that bit of plasterboard.

[1] to horizontal parallel cuts - one flush with the top of the rail (take care there may be nails driven down from the top of the lining), the other far enough down to correct the misalignment and establish a new "top". If the top of the lining is fixed to the studwork above you may need to prise that off to get it to come down on the left - making some wedges to drive into the gap is one relatively easy way.
Reply to
John Rumm

Many thanks - saved for (much!) later.

Reply to
RJH

I was hoping for some manner of elongated wedge type solution, but I've got a feeling it needs complete replacement.

Reply to
RJH

I see what you mean - like the rhs has somehow slipped? That would seem to be the best explanation, beyond it being built that way. As the frame hasn't got anything above it, might work. But I'd be more inclined to bring the LHS down, I think.

Dunno - it's a bit of a mess!

Reply to
RJH

No - that's how I found it 3 years ago.

I like Dicky's solution - it's obviously (to me) the 'proper' solution. But you having said the above, I may well look at this lowering. I'd add that my plan at the moment is to do the house up and think about selling

- so the proper solution isn't necessarily best.

Thanks everyone - plenty to go on now. And it'll stop me pausing for a solution every time I go down to the cellar ;-)

Reply to
RJH