TV Licence renewal ( OT)

I have just received an e mail telling me I have two weeks to renew my TV licence.

Now OK I did renew it online last year, but I don't recall being told that I would only get a reminder through e mail.

I know its due. However I could have missed this e mail because as an e mail its dead easy to miss! Do the TV licence people no longer send out reminders properly? Is this a scam? How do I know its for real? Anyone had one of these?

Reply to
sweetheart

Earlier this year, yes.

I can tell that they are genuine because they are sent to an address that only I and TVL know. The sender address is:

snipped-for-privacy@tvlicensing.co.uk

And the reply-to address is:

snipped-for-privacy@tvlreminders.co.uk

The email should contain your TV licence number which is private between you and TVL, but the morons at TVL send that in plain text.

The entire process seems a bit stupid especially since I paid on time but received four follow-up mails that claimed I hadn't paid.

If you want to be safe, ignore any "click on this" links in the email and simply enter

into your browser and log on with your usual details.

It didn't help that Thunderbird marked the email as a scam.

Reply to
Steve Firth

IIRC you get a red letter one in the post if you don't renew.

There are not enough funds to send bailiffs round: so don't panic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, I have never had an email reminder, only a reminder/renewal letter in the post.

You can check whether this is a scam by contacting them via

.

Reply to
Richard Head

They've turned the transmitters off where I live, so I asked for a refund. They asked me for proof that I couldn't receive TV signals. Thinking about taking a photo of snow on the TV, or sending them the advert from the local paper that's been running for the last six months.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I got a paper bill and a paper reminder despite having renewed online several times.

I am not sure if I got an email.

If you want to renew online I suggest that you avoid using any links in the email to find the website.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Of course if you watch by cable, satellite, or broadband, they'll still want you to pay up. And even if the house is empty they'll keep sending reminders and threats

John

Reply to
JTM

It was correctly marked them:-)

There is no bigger scam than the TV licence.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 18:17:22 +0100, JTM gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Last year I wrote to TV licencing in Bristol and informed them I would not be watching or recording an tv tfn. I received a polite letter of acknowledgement and nothing else in the last 9 months.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Well that was your decision to take the time and effort to write to them. Not bad going for a company that you do not do business with.

If you do not own a shotgun would you write a letter to the police informing them that you do not need a shotgun licence?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Perhaps he had "done business" with them in the past. He might have had and used a TV and had a licence before, and then decided to stop. If his "tfn" means "till further notice" it kind of suggests that may have been the case.

I do agree with you that he was not obliged to write to them, even if he did have a licence before, and certainly not if he hadn't. Nevertheless, if writing to them has the effect of them stopping to send him more and more letters "inviting" him to apply for a licence, and if receiving such letters annoys him, then the effort will have been worthwhile.

Still, it was jolly nice of them to acknowledge his letter.

If you had sold or given away your shotgun, you would probably *have to* write to them and tell them who the new owner is.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Precisely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's hardly unreasonable. The property could cease to be empty at any time and there's no way that they would know

tim

Reply to
tim....

But they will not write back in six months time to see if you have bought another one:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth