TRV acceptable in airing cupboard

In our new house we have a small radiator in the airing cupboard - no surprise there, that's common. But it does not have a TRV, just ordinary valves. I guess I haven't looked too closely elsewhere, is that the usual way of doing things? (I have never lived with a pressurised system before - only short term visits.)

We don't want the airing cupboard to be baking, just a slight background warmth is probably enough. Do you just turn down the setting and hope for the best? Or fit a TRV? Or do they tend not to get that warm anyway?

Reply to
polygonum

Would seem odd to me, I'm used to a big tank of hot water in there.

I'd guess it functions as the bypass radiator, instead of the usual bathroom rad doing that, have you got a TRV on the bathroom rad?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some boilers need a guaranteed water path at all times, so there needs to be something that still allows flow if all the TRV's shut off. Depends on the boiler.

OTOH, you shouldn't have a TRV on the radiator in the room where the thermostat is situated.

If it has a hand-adjustable valve, then it can probably be swapped for a TRV. If it only has a pair of lock-shield valves (not hand adjustable) or no valves at all, then the radiator is probably the boiler bypass loop. In that case, what you can do instead of turning it off is drape something insulating over it, such as some towels or blankets. That will reduce its effective output without compromising the bypass loop.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I should have explained (and did think it but forgot to type it) - the hall radiator is the boiler bypass loop. All other radiators have TRVs.

Reply to
polygonum

In that case why not just fit a TRV in the airing cupboard or just back off the lockshield valve to start with and see if you get a suitable reduction in temperature

Reply to
Bob Minchin

a) Because I have only just realised; b) Because we have not yet used the heating so don't know what to expect; c) Because experiences of others might mean I decide not to go through the effort of fitting a TRV which likely won't be needed.

At this moment, I think I shall just turn down the flow as you suggest.

(I especially don't want it too warm as I expect to be putting a wireless access point in the cupboard...)

Reply to
polygonum

I have a small rad in our drying room - manual valve only IIRC. "too warm" has never really been a problem with it ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks - fingers crossed.

Reply to
polygonum

The minimum-effort method would be to wrap the rad in an old blanket... no hydraulic change, just less heat dissipation from the rad.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I do like that - but whether having an old blanket in the airing cupboard will prove acceptable is another mater. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

a) Explain that it's a "special natural organic fiber insulation sheet"?

b) Explain that the alternative is clogging the fins with old socks?

c) Do nothing until next spring, so you can see what the rad does on its own. Then do nothing because it's Spring and the heating is off.

I like making suggestions I don't have to personally implement:-)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I'd never get away with a) - she is far too knowledgeable about all things textile. Similarly b).

c) has some merit...

Reply to
polygonum