Power meter

On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be simplest measurement. I know you can get small kwh modules such as ....

Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record cumulative .. or at least until reset or similar ....

In case someone suggest a mechanical device - don't want to go that route.

Reply to
rick

The one you point to above measures kWh, according to the posting and the 5th photo.

The terminals don't look like they're rated anywhere near the 20A or 30A claimed max current though. In one place it implies it uses an external current transformer, but the wiring diagram doesn't show one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

on 12/09/2016, rick supposed :

You can get 13amp plug in units, which can measure various things - volts, power factor, current, Kw, KwH. Might one of those do?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But the picture does doesn't it?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Some of the energy monitors "given away" by the utility companies had memories to store usage over a week/month. Some had USB interfaces where you could plug them into a computer and as long as the computer was on would log the power usage.

These types uses a remote current transformer/sender which normally clips on to the household incoming mains cable and a seperate receiver which displays usage etc.

Depending on application, something such as

Various different models on Ebay with more/less functionality.

Reply to
alan_m

The OP didn't tell us what kind of range they need, so it's difficult to tell how accurate they need to be. I suspect those aren't very accurate for measuring things in the tens of watts or below.

I recently looked for a plug-in monitor with remote data capability and the best I could find was this:

(available elsewhere for less)

adding a 4 pound Raspberry Pi Zero if needs be.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

unfortunately no

Reply to
rick

OK ... should have explained. I have a PV array on my roof and it dumps any spare generated power into my immersion heater. Just thought adding a kwh recording device would be useful for me to see how much I am 'storing'

So measuring between 0 to 3kw power supplied.

Reply to
rick

The cost of such a device will almost certainly exceed the value of the electricity stored in a year.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably so. Unless you have twenty people in the house bathing daily.

Reply to
harry

It has been providing all my hot water 'for free' for past 3 months .... so it will soon be paying for itself.

I want to measure the power 'dumped' so I can get accurate record.

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.

Reply to
rick

What is it with all these left brainers and everything being down to 'cost'. Why couldn't someone just be interested in seeing what is going on and not mind spending some money [1] to see / measure that?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Especially in the case of PV and the FIT as it's mostly 'our' money they are spending! ;-)
Reply to
T i m

It sounds as if your PV array is connected only to your immersion heater and feeds it DC. If so, a suitable kWh meter would be expensive.

Reply to
Dave W

I have a thermal store - so the stored energy is available for heating as well as DHW. Dish washer, Washing machine use the HW as well as also use the free leccy.

Reply to
rick

The cost of power meter is only £7 .... and as you say it is my interest to see what is actually going on, rather than just assume.

Reply to
rick

No, never mentioned DC. To clarify the PV is connected to a normal DC-AC inverter ... connected to my consumer unit. I use the output of that to power anything in the house .... the excess is detected by a Solar diverter switch and dumped into the immersion in my thermal store. This avoids exporting anything out to the grid.

Reply to
rick

In uk.d-i-y message , Tue, 13 Sep 2016

13:15:57, rick posted:

The immersion heater is a purely resistive load, and its resistance can easily be measured. Therefore you do not need a power meter; you only need to log the root mean square voltage applied to the load by the PV array, and then do a little arithmetic.

If it happens that, when the PV can supply the heater, it always does so at a particular voltage, you only need to measure the amount of time for which it supplies.

Reply to
Dr J R Stockton

until you have all the hot water you can use....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So this 'Diverter switch' 'diverts' as much as our money as possible into your bank account via the FIT scheme? [1] ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] "given to or involved in making secret and underhand plans. "they had mean, scheming little minds" synonyms: cunning, crafty, calculating, devious, designing, conniving, wily, sly, tricky, artful, guileful, slippery, slick;"
Reply to
T i m

Correct ... but due to size of my thermal store very rarely reach maximum temp.

Reply to
rick