Power meter

On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be simplest measurement. I know you can get small kwh modules such as .... http://tinyurl.com/zwyx2uo
Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record cumulative .. or at least until reset or similar ....
In case someone suggest a mechanical device - don't want to go that route.

The one you point to above measures kWh, according to the posting and the 5th photo.
The terminals don't look like they're rated anywhere near the 20A or 30A claimed max current though. In one place it implies it uses an external current transformer, but the wiring diagram doesn't show one.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:57:37 -0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

But the picture does doesn't it?
Cheers, T i m
writes:

That is a different product. Tricked me initially too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-in-1-AC264V-100A-Digital-Combo-Panel-Meter-Volt-Amp-kWh-Watt-Working-Time-CT-/221611843324
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 10:58:42 +1000, "Rod Speed"

Ah, yes.
Then I agree with Andrew and that I'm not sure those terminals would be good for 20A (Max 30A)?
I was considering a good 'capacity' meter for my electric outboard motor / battery combo but I think because the capacity varies with load it might be a difficult ask.
Cheers, T i m
On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 08:54:13 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

The meter indicated is AC. It won't work on your DC battery.
If you have an AC motor with electronic inverter speed control, it could be fitted between the motor and the speed controller. Unless the speed control output is three phase. Which is quite likely. In which case you'd need three of them.
The easiest way to determine how much power remains in your battery is a voltmeter. It will give indication but only under load, ie, when the motor is actually running. You may find the inverter (if that's what you have) will shut down below a certain battery voltage.
On 13/09/2016 16:34, harry wrote:

There is no DC there is no battery ... this is an AC feed to my 3kw immersion fed from my Solar diverter
On 13/09/2016 01:58, Rod Speed wrote:

Good spot .... if I used that one, with current transformer .. might give what I want. Description says ..."save cumulative power" implies it does record what I need. I have pinged a question to them .... see what they come back with.
Never used a current pick up transformer before, would extending the leads be much of an issue ... would need around 2m.

Should be fine.
On 13/09/2016 13:11, rick wrote:

Had confirmation from manufacturer - it does not store cumulative kwh ..... opposite to what description says.
on 12/09/2016, rick supposed :

You can get 13amp plug in units, which can measure various things - volts, power factor, current, Kw, KwH. Might one of those do?
On 12/09/2016 22:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

unfortunately no
On 12/09/2016 22:31, rick wrote:

Some of the energy monitors "given away" by the utility companies had memories to store usage over a week/month. Some had USB interfaces where you could plug them into a computer and as long as the computer was on would log the power usage.
These types uses a remote current transformer/sender which normally clips on to the household incoming mains cable and a seperate receiver which displays usage etc.
Depending on application, something such as
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Power-Meter-Energy-Monitor-Plug-In-Kwh-Watt-Volt-Amp-Electricity-Calculator-/282001592718?hash=item41a89ad18e:g:gkcAAOSwq19XDKUt
Various different models on Ebay with more/less functionality.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

The OP didn't tell us what kind of range they need, so it's difficult to tell how accurate they need to be. I suspect those aren't very accurate for measuring things in the tens of watts or below.
I recently looked for a plug-in monitor with remote data capability and the best I could find was this: https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/product/MIHO004-RT (available elsewhere for less)
adding a 4 pound Raspberry Pi Zero if needs be.
Theo
On 13/09/2016 12:05, Theo wrote:

OK ... should have explained. I have a PV array on my roof and it dumps any spare generated power into my immersion heater. Just thought adding a kwh recording device would be useful for me to see how much I am 'storing'
So measuring between 0 to 3kw power supplied.
On 13/09/16 13:15, rick wrote:

The cost of such a device will almost certainly exceed the value of the electricity stored in a year.
kind word alone.
On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 13:39:41 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Probably so. Unless you have twenty people in the house bathing daily.
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 08:37:10 -0700 (PDT), harry

What is it with all these left brainers and everything being down to 'cost'. Why couldn't someone just be interested in seeing what is going on and not mind spending some money [1] to see / measure that?
Cheers, T i m
[1] Especially in the case of PV and the FIT as it's mostly 'our' money they are spending! ;-)
On 13/09/2016 18:01, T i m wrote:

The cost of power meter is only £7 .... and as you say it is my interest to see what is actually going on, rather than just assume.
On 13/09/2016 16:37, harry wrote:

I have a thermal store - so the stored energy is available for heating as well as DHW. Dish washer, Washing machine use the HW as well as also use the free leccy.