Tradesmen's mess!

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:23:41 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

It doesn't really matter, it's the cost of dumping materials that is the issue here, not how much of it there is. Try and keep up or just watch.

Reply to
Lurch

We often come across copper and lead systems in our travels, but the cost of removing and transporting to a scrap dealer mostly outweighs the cost of what you'd receive for the stuff. So I personally don't remove any of this type of rubbish. If the customer has the time and patience to go to the scrappy, then that's up to them.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:30:37 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

That's why you spread it over a few different days, it also stops the bin from overflowing.

When did he say it was?

And you assume all trades have the time when the tip is open also. Why is the customers time more important than ours?

No they wouldn't. If I take all of my waste from home, be it boilers, radiators, plasterboard, bricks, paving slabs, grass cuttings or trees, in a car it costs nothing. If I take the same items in a van I get charged for trade waste.

Well there's a surprise.

When did he mention council flats?

Too true, theres such a thing as the cowboy customer as well you know. Oh, hang on you probably didn't but thought you'd just write up some drivel anyway.

Reply to
Lurch

How could I be prosecuted?!?

I am not doing any transportation of other peoples waste!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

think he meant if you were employing them as a contractor to do the work.

at least that's how I read it (though had to think about it a bit).

either that, or you're complicit in some terrible conspiricy to commit....

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

RichardS wro

Ah, I see!

I am not employing him, and i don't *know* he hasn't paid this fee!

I guess I can sleep at night now....phew!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Well my post was actually on a general issue but if you want to focus on the specific example I mentioned:

Yes

You had a written quote

Yes

On that fully written quote did it mention to clean and clear

If it had done I wouldn't have posted yesterday to uk.d-i-y asking whether I should have expected him to do so, which has stimulated a lot of useful discussion. So I'm not sure what your point is? David

Reply to
Lobster

Well, fair point; I'm sure that if I was given two quotes, for with and without rubbish removal, then I'd go for the cheaper one every time. :-) But IME it's rarely mentioned at all. (I certainly have no problem with being left bags of stuff to put out for the bin men; however certainly in my neck of the woods, anything remotely heavy (ie any rubble/plaster type stuff) would stay right on the pavement!)

Anyway, looks like most people agree it's normal and reasonable practice to leave it behind for the customer,. Back down to the tip for me tomorrow then!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I take away any rubbish cos there isn't normally very much when I'm doing decorative plasterwork so I just put it in my own wheely bin when I get home.

If the job will generate more rubbish than usual, then I discuss with the client beforehand how it will be removed under the general principle of "don't spring any nasty surprises on the client when you want to extract money from them"

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

It has no context. See if this helps:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Yes. Always. It's part of what I'm paying for.

Reply to
Huge

Obviously there are 2 ways of doing things, one is more convenient, the other cheaper. Both perfectly valid.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Many heating companies stipulate in the contract that they do not remove old boilers, etc.

Reply to
IMM

Although reasonable to ask, it isn't often economically advantageous. It is cheaper for me for them to dump it at the house and I'll take it down the tip in the trailer when I get the chance. For example, when I had a tree chopped down recently, I was quoted 100 for the chopping down tree into little pieces and a further 150 for taking it away. In the end, I spent 50 quid hiring a huge trailer, straps and so forth and took it away myself. In the process I took away 3 loads including a couple of other trees I'd chopped down myself and an old shed. I even found free labour to shift it all, in return for taking a load down for them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sounds like best avoided, then. Old boilers can be heavy and dirty, and not everyone has suitable transport for taking them to the tip. Do they stipulate in their contract that they require new parts collected by the client? Same thing in reverse. Of course, the client would then get to know what they actually cost...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I prefer to get them to drop the quote by not taking away. Why pay someone

100 quid to dispose of a boiler that you can just lug down the tip yourself for the cost of a quid's petrol/diesel and 30 minutes time? I'd be paying myself 200 quid an hour!

When I buy in help, I'm buying expertise, not unskilled labour. Likewise, I wouldn't want to pay a tradesman to make good decoration that I can do for a lot less than the 25-50 quid an hour they are charging.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But you're a professional, Anna, with a professional attitude and approach to customers.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher
[31 lines snipped]

Don't expect to get any work from me, then!

Reply to
Huge

Well, everyone will have their price. I'm sure you can get them to quote to take the old ones away, but it'll be expensive as it costs both time and money to dispose of stuff legally and they have plenty of more interesting and lucrative work to do.

Well that's what I generally do. I certainly bought my boiler, flue parts and heatbank myself and took the old boiler away, including removing from the wall.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Normal domestic cast iron gass jobies are a lump but not that bad. Dirty? Only of soild fuel I would have though gas and oil should be burning clean, I don't call domestic dust and cobwebs "dirt" as such.

Having said that I'm not sure I'd like to try and move our 38kW cast iron oil boiler it stands 4' high 2'6" wide and 3' deep and holds 12 gallons of water. Bit it's not "dirty".

This true I think my car might object a bit to the above boiler.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice