Tradesmen's mess!

What's a brown bin for? Or should I say, meant to be for? (we still have nothing more than those quaint black containers called 'dustbins' round my neck of the woods...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

We, the people in our area (inner city Leeds), have a green bin for recyclables (except glass) and a brown bin for the rest.

We, the Fishers, have very little waste because we don't buy much. All garden rubbish, cardboard and vegetable kitchen waste is composted. We don't have many table scraps and what we do is eaten by the hens. As many bones as possible are turned into replica period accessories. Bottles are taken to the bottle bank when we go to anywhere which has one. We're smokeless so don't have ash.

Our green bin contains mostly cans and plastic bottles which I pick up in the street, and the junk mail I can't shred for the hens' litter. That, of course, when well fertilised, goes into the compost bin.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You're welcome to come to the beefsteak fungus fest but its a long way from Leeds to Suffolk (she says, confusing the threads wildly)

In Suffolk we proliferate bins. Blue is for recycling, brown is for composting, black is for everything else. We are supposed to be in an area of outstanding natural beauty though how bright blue bins contrubute to this is beyond the ken of everyone except the council

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

No matter. I have the official invitation nos, it will be stored against the day :-)

You don't compost yourself???

When we first had two wheelie bins, years ago, the brown one was divided into compostable stuff and other. The divider was taken out after about a year.

I suspect that people weren't bothering to use it properly. We didn't use it at all. I'm not giving away our precious resources!

Mary

Our Lords and Masters are not as we are ... they sit with the angels.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... if only ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher" saying something like:

Used in areas where you woudn't want a stray spark - oil refineries, tankers, gas plants and the like.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah. I'll get one for my car battery, then. My steel ones produce enormous sparks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave Plowman saying something like:

Tip; don't leave it across the terminals while you have a cuppa.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Lurch writes

Are you forgetting the innumerable quantity of lurkers?

Reply to
stejonda_privacy

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:28:26 +0100, "dave @ stejonda" strung together this:

Nope. I said quite a few people, not everyone who reads this group!

Reply to
Lurch

On the basis that you didn't add a smiley, I'm assuming your question to be genuine.

Those working in the electrical industry often refer to a socket outlet as a "plug"; by inference the thing that plugs in to this is known as a "plug top". When Tuppence said "plug top", he meant the whole plug.

I've no idea for the reason for this confusion of terms, other than historical. "Plugs" were certainly always called "plug tops" when I started in the industry 40 years ago.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan