Toolstation App for android

pretty reasonable - searching could be better, but it is there and it is a start and it claims to let you build a shopping list for collection over the counter.

It does tell you (a-la Argos App) the stock levels at your local branch.

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

apps, if only they'd make their website aware of small form factor devices they'd achieve the same result ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

They're for the people who insist on an app. Most of these "apps" are just a web browser in a wrapper.

Reply to
Huge

Which is why I said "most".

Reply to
Huge

I don't have one of these fancy phones so I don't understand all these apps. Each shop seems to have its own app. Why can't the user just go onto an internet browser and visit the shop's web site? What does an app do that a browser can't? Why install half a dozen apps for six shops when you could just run one browser?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

They can, of course it helps when the website is written to work well on small-screen devices.

It could download the price list for offline usage, but it'd get pretty large if it included full description and pictures for each item.

That's why I don't bother with apps to read individual newspapers, forums or shops ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

YMYA.

(You're me, you are.)

Reply to
Huge

An app can do things on the phone that a browser can't. E.g. apps can store stuff on the phone which could be useful.

Reply to
dennis

Most websites don't have an alternative, sans all the flashy "web experience" stuff that the small relatively low resolution screen of a mobile phone can't really handle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The apps I've tried (eBay, Autotrader etc) work much better on mobiles than the corresponding websites. Aside from the screen size issue others have pointed out, a well designed app can be much less data hungry than a typical flashy website. the apps I've tried are reasonably usable on GPRS whereas the websites are utterly useless, even using a laptop from a pigtailed phone.

If only the websites were leaner...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to