Are pretty claw hammers better?

Are pretty claw hammers better? By pretty, right now I'm thinking of the ones with corners on the shank just below the hammer head. Does that shape mean they are made with a different, better method?

Or maybe they are made with a cheaper method but made with corners to imitate better ones?

Or is the shape just a style and nothing more?

There are also hammers with 8 sided heads, rather than circular. For some strange reason I can't put my finger on, I don't like them. That's just a style, right?

I've never broken a hammer, even one that I'm sure was cheap. But I have had one or two where there was something wrong with the V between the claws and they didn't grip nails with small heads well.

Reply to
mm

A hammer is about as personal a tool as you can get. more so than a saw or drill. a hammer speaks to who you are and how you work.

no one hammer is better than the other.

I like a light hammer, others prefer heavy weighted hammers. I like a wood handle, others prefer composite or steel.

different styles for different uses.

personally I think the milled faces are for people who can't swing straight... but that's just me.

Dave

Reply to
Zephyr

There are differences in quality and there are different types depending on use and personal preference. No one really should use the cheap ones.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would never buy a hammer big enough to hit my thumb.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

You use a framing hammer for framing, a finish hammer for finish work, and a tack hammer for light work.

The shape and materials of the head, claw, handle, and grip affect things like moment arm, shock transmission, weight distribution, grip, slipperyness, twisting, and recoil.

Reply to
Goedjn

Exactly The good hammer just feels good in your hand. What I like may be much different than your choice. Just avoid cheap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Dave-

straight... but that's just me.

Reply to
BobK207

"Zephyr" wrote in news:CPudnXQiMLuk-UbYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

My grandmother from the old country used to beat the piss outta steaks on her metal kitchen table with some mill faced hammer before cooking. Funny looking hammer. It had a claw. Might have been a shoemakers hammer. Never had a steak equal or better since she died.

Reply to
Al Bundy

My grandmother did that with rump roast. Never had a pot roast equal or better since she died.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, thanks to everyone.

I'll have to wait until I'm using the hammer(s) and think about all this.

And also when I'm cooking.

Reply to
mm

Hmm......wondering what the oz's of the hammer vs. oz's of the steak was :-) Maybe this is my problem of not being able to cook a damn thing.

Dean

Reply to
avid_hiker

"avid_hiker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

If you can make Sloppy Joe, you'll survive.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:wsPCh.65352$wc5.24281 @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Never had a rump roast done up that way. Hmmmm...maybe I should pick one up, go to where they're builing a bridge and slip it under the pile driver for a few rounds. Still won't be as good as you grandmother's though Edwin.

Reply to
Al Bundy