Weight of hammers

Just bought a pair of Silverline ball peen hammers - a 32 oz and a 40 oz. The weights felt wrong so I weighed them - and the 32 oz weighs MORE than the 40! Both have the weight printed on the head. Supplier keeps trying to replace the '40' but they supply a hammer weighing 36 oz including the handle.

My understanding is that hammer weights refer to the head but cannot find references to that - did I dream it? Can anyone confirm it?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It is my understanding as well but like you I can't find an authoritative reference.

Given that the weights are still quoted in Imperial it seems that this is a subject that the Metric Thought Police have yet to visit with the corollary that the younger generation might be sufficiently clueless about the exact nature of pounds and ounces to just get the weight wrong or even to consider any lettering cast into the head mere decoration. :-)

Reply to
Roger Chapman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson" saying something like:

Of course it's true.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What is the handle made of?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you Gogle for "hammer classified by weight of the head" - without the quotes - you will get a bunch of websites that agree with your assertion.

HTH

Reply to
Dave Osborne

weighs

Supplier

cannot

Hickory

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Why I asked, was that it had crossed my mind that the handle may have been made of metal, like the Stanley range sometimes have. So I was wrong there.

Looking back at your original post, the penny has dropped. The extra weight has come from the handles. 2 lb hammer has to have a much more substantial handle than my 1 lb one, so an extra 8 oz looks about right. As an apprentice, I could not use a 2 lb hammer for very long and even a

1.5 lb was very tiring at first.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No - the handles are identical! These are heavy hammers for thumping white hot steel on an anvil.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Silverline! im surprised that you are surprised.

Reply to
Mark