Some idiot has put Cuprinol Wood Preserve on an internal door

Hi All,

Because I'm stupid, I've mistakenly put Cuprinol Wood Preserve (says exterior use only - on the tin) on an internal door; in my defence, the wood stain was in a similar tin and both labels were badly stained!

Anyway, it's the backdoor and somewhat isolated, I was just lightly staining a few patches so the door looks OK and the smell has just about gone.

I was wondering if there's any reason I should be overly worried about this? Health/fire issues?

Thanks, Stupid from Nottinghamshire

Reply to
LostJohn

Probably means that you're not supposed to drink it!

Reply to
Roger Mills

No problem at all. I once used exterior grade stain/preserver (prolly Cuprinol) in a bathroom, specifically because it would stand getting wet.

I don't think they are allowed to make anything that decent (=toxic) these days. Remember Sadolin PX65? If you could still get that, I would still use it - fantastic stuff at kepping wood in good order outdoors.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It may have fungicides and stuff like that in it. Its probably not a hazard unless you have kids that like to stick sticky fingers all over it and then lick their hands or the door. A coat or two of varnish would seal it in.

Reply to
dennis

Depends what sort of preserver; what colour; and what you may want to do with the door in future.

I once (a long time ago) wasted my time trying to make good a window frame with filler, and for some reason got the thought that it would be a good idea to put some preserver around where I'd dug out the rot first. I made a lovely job of the repainting except that the green ( :-( ) colour of the preserver kept coming to the surface. And, of course, the filler fell out after a couple of years anyway...

Nowadays I expect your preserver is water based, so when it is dry it will paint over ok.

spamlet

Don't gnaw it, no matter how anxious you are!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It may be more toxic if you were to start licking the door ... but it's the other way round is the problem ... inside used outside. If you are happy with the way it looks ... then leave it as is.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Thanks all. Much apprecited, as I've a cat and a wee one - think I'll varnish, just to be safe.

Thanks again, LJ

Reply to
LostJohn