Toolsatan - Sparky SDS drill

anyone rate this?

Makita have similar for similar...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I have one (probably an earlier model). It?s fine. A minor inconvenience on my model is that the front handle is a very close fit over the bit release ring, so getting the handle on and off is more fiddly than one might hope. It can be a bit fierce when the hammer kicks in when using it as a chisel (push chisel agains target ? nothing much happens, push a bit harder and you?ve taken off a huge chunk), but in my limited experience of SDS drills, they?re all like that.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Often wondered about the Sparky brand. Unknown but top money. Made in Bulgaria.

Made me laugh watching a Nationwide (/) advert where hapless DIY husband drills through water pipe - using a Sparky drill.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's true of my Makita too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not the best of names for any electrical appliance. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Shows my age - but always makes me think Magic Piano. :-)

polygonum

I've had one of that model for about four years now and it has happily dealt with everything I needed. That includes drilling, demolition and chasing. Also plaster/mortar mixing with a big paddle.

My builder mate used it a few times and was quite impressed too. I was swayed by the magnesium gearbox, but as I don't know what other gearboxes are made of that might not be a consideration.

Thumbs up from one happy user!

Reply to
Steve Eldridge

Based on the Sparky core drill I have, I would rather have a Makita ;-)

In which case, its a "no brainer".

Reply to
John Rumm

Then really you need to try a decent SDS. Decent speed control on an accelerator trigger, and a good pneumatic SDS mechanism should allow you to float a chisel along plaster and just knick the skim coat if that is all you want - all under full control.

Reply to
John Rumm

They do seem to be pricing themselves into the wrong bracket now. There was a time when I bought the couple of sparky tools I have, they were in the not quite pro money range (i.e. my core drill - about £100 cheaper than a proper one) or not available in the disposable tool range at all (wall chaser).

Perhaps the producer did not want to ruin a good one ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

yup ;>)

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The more expensive ones aren't. My DeWalt can range from a light tap throug h to full fury on its variable trigger, and Makita and Hitachi ones I've tr ied are the same. Really quite delicate work is possible.

To the OP: If Makita do something similar, why get the Sparky? Or you can g et a DeWalt for similar too (e.g.,

dan.

Reply to
dwtowner

er... I'm asking for opinions on Sparky...

why bother with dewalt when you can have a Makita? ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

(e.g.,

DeWalt_D25013K_240_Volt_SDS_Pl...).

And you get to call it "The Big Mak" - as Desmond & I do :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

that's the clincher ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

(e.g.,

DeWalt_D25013K_240_Volt_SDS_Pl...).

And obviously not a quarter pounder, sorry, Royale with cheese.

Reply to
polygonum

Really? I've had one for yonks and apart from digitally-challenged[1] associate fracking up the hammer on-off slider it's been pretty good.

[1] all thumbs ;-)
Reply to
YAPH

Would that (sparky wall chaser) be this one?

I have been using the Aldi one, which is great 99% of the time but because it has a "circular saw" style body, it's not great for getting into corners. I thought an "angle grinder" body style might be better. For a long time there was only one review of the sparky on SF, which complained about the noise and how it sounded like it was going to pack up at any moment, which put me off buying it. However, I note there is a second more positive review there now too. What do you think?

Reply to
Fred

You all seem to be thinking of tools on fire. I thought the opposite; I thought it was because they were tools for professional electricians, i.e. sparkies.

Reply to
Fred

What's wrong with the sparky core drill? And do I need one; I just (infrequently) use cores in my sds drill? TIA

Reply to
Fred