"non-notifiable" electrical works - testing requirements?

Just pondering:-

If a handyman (or other "non electrically certificated person") changes a bathroom light fitting (with no changes to wiring as such) what if any tests would/should they be doing to comply with strict letters of applicable regs? (i.e. the person is doing it for payment as opposed to DIY)

how about adding a spur to a circuit - to add a new socket say?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Earth fault loop impedance should be done. Earthing and bonding should be checked, visual is usually enough for those, along with an earth fault loop test. An R1 + R2 test can be done in place of the EFLI to ensure the item has an earth connection. If those are not done, how would anyone know the item is safe to use?

I'd say the full list should be done,check earth and bonding, R1+R2, Insulation, EFLI + RCD tests.

In reality, anyone without the relevant equipment will just test it with a plug in type tester with the 3 lights. Light fittings will get a functional test.

Reply to
A.Lee

Even for a like for like swap?

With the exception that you would not replace a class I light fitting with a class I light fitting if there was no earth on the lighting circuit and other such obvious dangers I would say you could just swap the light and do no tests at all.

Yep.

Reply to
ARW

Well this business is actually leading to unsafe people doing work as many contact an electrician to have a light moved and get told I'll really have to redoo this or that and change those etc to cover myself, ie costing bundles of cash, the person thinks the guy is taking the piss and gets fred down the road in to bodge it instead.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This morning I had a phone call. I won't identify the caller. "Bill, I'm putting some new wall lights up and there's a yellow and green wire in a little box set into the wall. That's earth isn't it?" "Assuming the colours are correct, yes." "Well this light says it doesn't need an earth, but the two earth wires must be connected together to ensure continuity. What does that mean?" "Is there one earth wire or two." "There's only one." "Insulate the end and coil it into the box." "Insulate?" "Got any PVC tape?" "Got some Sellotape." "No, err, look, I'm sure there's some black tape in that little toolbox your dad got you."

A full hour later: "Is that the DIY help line?" "Very funny. What's up, have you burnt the house down?" "Not yet because for one thing I haven't turned the power on yet." "I'm glad to hear you have it turned off. I forgot to mention it." "No look, what it is, the wires in the wall aren't long enough. What shall I do?" "Leave it to your father-in-law?" "I want to do it this afternoon." "Go to B & Q then and buy some little connector blocks and some wire that's about as thick as the ones in the wall. But it will be an awkward job." "Oh I think I'll manage."

I've put the ansaphone on.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright