Toasted sandwich makers that last > 13 months ?

Hi, Slightly off topic, but this forum always manages to amaze and enlighten.

We eat lots of cheese toasted sandwiches, and have a Breville sandwich maker with removable & washable plates.

The Teflon usually starts to come off the plates after a while (usually just outside warranty). It's possible to buy replacement plates (=A311 for plates =A316 for the whole thing). I don't want to buy a new toaster which is wasteful, but I resent pouring good money into a never ending series of replacement plates. The economics look somewhat like inkjet printers, where it's cheaper to buy a new printer

has anyone found a toasted sandwich maker which:

1) Seals the sandwich (i.e not pannini style - a baked bean pannini is not easy to eat )

2) has plates which can be easily removed to be cleaned in a dishwasher

Cost may not be a factor IF I can find one which lasts

many thanks

Jonathan Ives

Reply to
jives11

Yup. I gave up on em for similar reasons.

Following this thread with interest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, by their nature they are disposable. Let's say you use it 4 times a week. That's 200 cycles a year, which if you replace every year is 8p per cycle. Not bad value. Not everything lasts forever.

Reply to
Grunff

?categoryCode=3

Reply to
dom

?categoryCode=3I always use a microwave to do the cheese. Toast in the toaster then apply the cheese and give 30 seconds in microwave. No washing up!

Reply to
John

The life of PTFE is governed by the quality of the preparation which with Breville might well be quite good.

After that it is down to: operating temperature, cleaning regimens and amount of abrasion in use. Sugar can apparently damage it.

Maybe you leave the heating element on for too long?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

So, apart from the Dualit our Breville Duo (non removable plates) is still doing well after a few years but then we don't use it

*very* regularly.

It has lost the teflon in a couple of the corners but not enough to case any problems it seems.

And unlike the toaster [1] provides very predictable results.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] Any toaster we have used so far (see toaster threads) ;-)
Reply to
T i m

?categoryCode=3Two coats of non stick! How did they get the second to stick to the first?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth