Timed on switch with times around an hour or so

Are there any plug in (or even wired in) timers which allow one to turn something on for an hour or so and then turn off automatically?

I'm after something like the immersion heater 'booster' switches that allow you to press a button to turn the immersion heater on for an hour but then revert to normal timed operation. I really want a plug in version though for controlling 1kW or so and I want it at a reasonable price, not the 20 pounds or more that the immersion heater switches cost.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
tinnews

Costco (Lakeside) have some Unicom timers with a countdown feature, they have had them for years. Not sure if they return to normal times operation after the countdown timer has finished though.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

You could make one with a Maplin timer board and a relay to do the switching, or a programmable relay from RS.

RS have mechanical run-back timers - try stock codes 536-2779 328-184

But by the time you've added on the cost of a case, 13A panel socket, etc, you're probably looking at £20 or so anyway.

I don't know their prices, but Elkay have switches which do exactly what you want (although not plug-in).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Very true, that's the problem. Plug in timers do most of what I want (and only cost a few pounds) but a "turn on for an hour" button would make them perfect.

Horribly expensive! Like £75 for some of them.

Reply to
tinnews

These look like the Costco ones I mentioned before...

may want to ask the seller if these ones feature the countdown timer.

I have one in front of me now, you can have it set to timed (with a randomisation, so the on and off time is randomised by up to an hour either way, if you wish) or you can have it set to countdown, when the countdown is finished, it does NOT revert to timed operation automatically, you have to change the mode back to timed.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

OK, thanks, I'll follow that up, £16.99 for three is a very reasonable price.

Reply to
tinnews