12v twilight-activated, timed light switch?

I'm rigging up some 12v solar powered lighting and would like to have the lights come on when twilight falls, and stay on for an adjustable length of time (between 10 minutes and 10 hours). Does anyone know where I can obtain such a 12v switch (or switch circuit)? I need about

5 of them, so low cost would be an advantage.

Alternatively, a 12v switch (or switch circuit) that is triggered by movement or the sound of a hand-clap, and remains on for an adjustable length of time (between 10 minutes and 10 hours).

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
JakeD

I wouldn't worry about the latter figure; they won't last that long.

Reply to
Huge

Sounds like a suitable project for a PIC, give me more details and I will see about programming a 12F or similar.

Reply to
James Salisbury

Hi James, Thanks you for the sugestion. I've decided that what would work best for my application would be a clap switch (one that is activated by the sound of a hand-clap or two hand-claps). I would like the light to stay of for a while after the hand-clap (I'd like the duration to be able to adjustjustable, via a potentiometer - from 10 minutes to 10 hours would be ideal). The switch would ideally be powerd by 12v dc: same as the light. The power source is a 12v gel cell battery. There are clap-switch kits around (for about £10) but not with the timer feature, as far as I know.

There is a timer circuit on this page (designed for use with a PIR switch) (the last circuit on the page):

that circuit could be used with a clap switch circuit? The ideal switch could also be reset to 'off' with another hand-clap (or double-handclap).

I'm afraid my understanding of circuits is rather feeble. I have built circuits from kits, but understanding how they work, when they involve transistors or ICs is beyond me at present. I'm working on it though!

He's a c/d for a simple clap switch:

another:
another, more complicated one:
an even more elaborate one:

JakeD

In message , JakeD writes

Buddhist version ?

Hare Krishna version

I have one somewhere (that I designed for a stage magician) if I can find it

Reply to
geoff

Have a look at

and order part 4390787 and some of part

9759034 and have a bit of a play. If you like to program in C have a look at
James Salisbury

Hi,

Might be a Velleman kit which does what you want (google).

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

clap-switch I described using one of these kits?

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
JakeD

They do a clap switch but not one with a timer, as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
JakeD

You would have to build the clap switch as described in your links as the trigger, then yes you could use the board to turn the lights on and off after a determined delay or do anything else you liked. Alternatively you could take a look at

kit is pic based so you could build it and then reprogram it as you wish. You could change the code so it reads the switches and sets the required delay. You will need to buy some more chips, you can't reprogram the one with this kit.

Reply to
James Salisbury

That sounds worth trying! Thanks again for your help.

JD

Reply to
JakeD

How is the project going, and do you have a real email address?

Reply to
James Salisbury