Tilt n Turn Windows

What arethe advantages of Tilt n Turn Windows? In terms of ease of use? Any problems with positioning of Net curtaining, Blinds, and Curtains?

Please guide.

Sidkney

Reply to
SidKnee

Howard

"Howard" wrote in reply to Sidkney's Question of

What are these problems?

Sid

Reply to
SidKnee

Not had them myself - but they don't work with net curtains etc.

The ones I've seen open inwards - turn handle one way and it hinges at the bottom, leaning into room. Close and turn another way, and window hinges from side, swinging into room. Neither appear to have much in the way of control - certainly for the bottom hinged one (its either closed, or sits on the stop (maybe 9" gap at top?).

Now, because they open in, you find the net curtains are in the way. Blinds etc would be similar.

If you find outward opening ones, or ones different from what I've described above (these were office windows - not domestic) then it may be better - but from what I saw - blinds etc are a right pain!

David

Reply to
David Hearn

They are one of the stupidest inventions ever - I once had them in a bedroom and they could not be opened without snagging the curtains.

The only way they would work with a blind would be to have the blind fixed to the tilting section like a velux blind. Blinds now seem much more popular than they once were, with only pensioners seemingly sticking with old fashioned curtains these days, so they do not make much sense.

Reply to
Adrian Boliston

I first saw them 30 years ago in Germany; I think they are fine provided you have shutters!

Reply to
Newshound

Had them at the last house (bedrooms). Won't do that again.......

We had curtains plus roller blinds which covered the reveal rather than fit inside it. The blinds could roll up enough to clear the top in 'turn' mode. The curtains caught as others have said.....

The worst problem however was ventilation. Or rather the lack of it in those warm balmy summer evenings (Hah!).

Our original windows opened outwards at the bottom while sliding down at the top. This gave a gap at the top for the warm air to escape, while allowing cool(er) air in at the bottom.

T&T windows only tilt in a few inches, so are unlikely to clear the reveal and if the whole unit opens as ours did, all you've got is a small gap around the sides/top (we had about 1/2" IIRC). The bottom, being 'closed', doesn't air to circulate. The only way to get air into the room was to turn them (inwards) and then you had 4' of window sticking into the room, getting in the way.....

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann

They're good in doors; I've got one in the top half of my outside door in the kitchen, makes a great 'stable door'.

I wouldn't have one anywhere else though!

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote> They're good in doors; I've got one in the top half of my outside door in

DAve / anyone thanks for advise, I would like to see this option as a stable door, can anyone post a picture?

Sidney

Reply to
SidKnee

I wouldn't buy it from them if you paid me!)

Dave

Reply to
Dave