Tile around or behind kitchen hood and chimney?

I have a new kitchen installed with a nice new stainless steel hood and chimney above the hob. My father in law (who I call a BIY expert - "Bodge It Yourself") insists I should tile around these fittings. I think it will look crap, will be hard to cut the angles to look nice and I don't think having grout and/or sealant around the edges will be that nice. I want to take the hood and chimney off and tile behind but my first attempts indicate that the kitchen fitters used black magik to get them into place and it will be hard to remove them.

So should I persevere or just bodge it?

Reply to
plug

I think you should persevere, because the end result will look so much better. If you tile around it, then the hood goes wrong, you'll have a an even worse mess on your hands.

Hard to say, exactly how the hood and chimney fit to the wall, but in my experience it is only likely to be a few screws, and hopefully not gripfix or similar!

Reply to
deckertim

I think you should persevere, because the end result will look so much better. If you tile around it, then the hood goes wrong, you'll have a an even worse mess on your hands.

Hard to say, exactly how the hood and chimney fit to the wall, but in my experience it is only likely to be a few screws, and hopefully not gripfix or similar!

Reply to
deckertim

Dont tile it if you dont want to, dont let anyone force you into it. Invest in a one of these circular table type tile cutters, pretty cheap, easy to use.

Measure the angle you want anf then cut a bit of MDF to make a jig to hold the tile at the correct angle, should be able to make a pretty neat job of it. buying good quality tiles makes things easier, they cut nicer and you waste less.

Kev

Reply to
kevin foote

look up the hood on www look up the fitting instructions, the fitters should have left all the instructions with you, chase them up, if they bodged it get them back to do it correctly

Reply to
kitchenman

tile behind but

Thanks for the encouragement. I managed to remove the hood and chimney, tiled behind it last night and it now looks fantastic. The fitters had bodged it - rather than using the supplied metal brakcet for the chimney they used a piece of wood screwed (loosely) to the wall - why I don't know. The wood piece (which I couldn't see initially) caused the installation instructions to not make sense since it prevented the removal in the correct sequence. Anyway, I figured it out and it was worth it.

Reply to
plug

Twice now you have been offerred the help to sort out your posting. You are still posting upside down and not trimming which is extremely antisocial and irritating. Please sort it out as you will find that your contributions get ignored otherwise.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

If you do tile behind it you'll leaky still need to 'grout' or seal the join.

Cutting angles in tiles is easy with a cheap electric tile cutter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you for your input

Is this what you had in mind?