Thinking of a carport

Im thinking of making a carport, Just wondering is there anything that is quite when it rains.

Dont want to have a Drum in the drive.

The corrugated ridge plastic sheets, I am thinking should be quite as they are flexable so should absorb some noise.

thanks

df

Reply to
df

Anything massive and stiff, or foamy and flexible, or combination of the two.

Tiles work well, as does turf, thatching, ...

Well... Not really so as you'd notice.

They are flexible, so each little raindrop that hits them bounces them up and down a bit, making noise.

They may be marginally quieter than the corrugated metal sheets.

For quiet, you really need mass, and ideally decoupling so that the surface the rain hits is not the one you can hear easily.

18mm WBP ply, with some epoxy or other based waterproofing system on top will be pretty quiet.

Taking the plastic sheets, and putting a couple of centimeters of polystyrene or something on a loose frame underneath them will also work a bit.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I built a carport in the garden and it is a touch over 5m horizontally from my bedroom window and has corrugated plastic sheeting on it.

I never really notice the noise of the rain on it, except for when it is hammering it down - at which point the noise from the roof of the house and on the windows is just as bad.

It doesnt wake me up at night though i wake up when the guy next door goes out to work at 5am.

Reply to
Tom Woods