There ain't half some dipsticks...

knocking about.

The woman in the next road asked me to look at her sink as there was a smell eminating from it every time she done the washing.

Turns out the plonker who plumbed the machine in took the WM waste pipe to the trap just above the U-bend, instead of after the U-bend outlet.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I just realised I did that - not enough suitable plumbing fittings on hand to do it the other way.

Though I probably could have assembled it otherwise. Several of the fixtures in that assembly are heat welded polypropylene, made from chopped in half and rewelded other fittings. (to make the cupboard more usable - the pipe goes almost straight back to the wall where the trap is - it used to be in the middlee No smells though.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's how you're supposed to do it, unless you are providing the washing machine with its own stand and trap. Connecting the washing machine after the outlet means that there is no trap for the washing machine, which will then have a direct connection to the sewer, which is not permitted.

Using a combined trap, you would smell the washing water as it pumps out.

See:

sink connects to the vertical inlet. The washing machine to the spigot, BEFORE the trap.

I prefer to use:

then T's off to the sink trap outlet and each has its own trap.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've always plumbed a WM in after the trap(direct connection to the sewer).

The WM pipe went directly to this type of bottle and then the trap.

As far as i'm concerned at the end of the wash remains of crap/smelly water will remain in the bottle until the tap water is run and flushed it out.

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'm not sure I quite get you. However, if you run the WM through a bottle trap, then it isn't connected directly to the sewer and should be OK water regs wise, although I would always use a 40mm trap myself.

Make sure you don't put a kitchen sink through a bottle trap, though. They're not up to it and are really for hand washing basins.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

after recently acquiring an old washing machine that the previous owner said "clothes still smell a bit foisty" after washing it turned out it was in need of a good clean out. I stripped every hose and pump and cleaned out all the smelly gunk buildup. This was the cause of the problem not the plumbing work.

Reply to
Paul-S8

Have you got a picture ? Isn't this how it's _meant_ to be?

If the WM gets plumbed in downstream of the kitchen trap, then does the WM standpipe have any trap between it and a sewer ? (if it's an old house, then the kitchen waste probably empties into an open gulley anyway, which then wouldn't cause a problem)

If you plumb the WM in just below the sink trap then there's a risk that the WM high outlet volume can backflow the sink trap into the sink itself. Now that can get a bit yucky.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Most of them in Derby by the look of it :-)

Dave

Reply to
david lang

You're probably right, however I'm in west derby liverpool. :-P

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

My WM is plumbed in to the sink outlet above the U bend. The more normal way in days gone by was to hook the outlet hose into a stand pipe - before the U bend. So any smells from the actual washing machine would still be vented into the room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And you admit to it???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If the water's smelly at the end of the wash I'd have thought there was something wrong with the rinse cycle?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Admit to what you silly woman? I have not addmitted to anything.

Couldn't you find a life outside this newsgroup?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Think about what a washing machine does. Final water will be relatively clean rinse/spin water possibly smelling of fabric conditioner. It's no worse and probably a lot cleaner than the "crap/smelly" water left when you empty the washing up bowl.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq