Two ring mains for kitchen ?

We are having our kitchen redone and one of the proposals was to have two ring mains in the kitchen. Currently 1 ring main via 32A MCB (not RCD) feeding usual stuff, washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, freezer + 10 sockets.

I assume split the "fixed appliances" onto one 32A MCB ring main and sockets (which may be more than the existing 10 in new layout) say onto another 32A RCD ?

Any thoughts ?

Reply to
Ian_m

I actually have 3 in mine.

B32A MCB no RCD radial - dishwasher/washing machine/tumble dryer B16A MCB no RCD radial - fridge freezer (due to consequences of tripping) B32A RCBO ring - sockets and cooker (only for infrequently used second oven)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

OK so two rings does sound OK.

Now all thats need to go get from consumer unit to kitchen easily and "nicely". CU (Hager) is split load and lots of spare space next to the existing kitchen MCB, so no issues there.

Reply to
Ian_m

Do ensure that the fridge/freezer ends up on a non 30mA RCD circuit, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I was aware of that, as a mate of mine moved his fridge, just plugged it in elsewhere and a combination of fridge and washing machine continually tripped the sockets RCD.

Reply to
Ian_m

Together with boiler. Although that might plausibly be fed from the immersion heater radial (non RCD) circumstances being suitable.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes, I fed my CH from a 16A MCB that also does the immersion. The circuits for both devices are so entwined that I thought it appropriate.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:56:59 -0000 someone who may be "Ian_m" wrote this:-

While in a number of houses which I keep an eye on such trips are unknown. The only things to cause trips have been working on the wiring and when water penetrated the wiring once.

Reply to
David Hansen