Mirrored or diffused glass

I need to think of my lighting for my tiny ensuite. I don't want anything dangling from the ceiling. I can't have anything flush in the ceiling.
I was thinking of a couple of fluorescent tubes behind the wall, with either pearl diffused glass or, perhaps, transmissive slightly mirrored glass.
I presume if I permanently install these in the shower cubicle, then the light fittings behind will be out of the zones (there will only be access to the electrics through the airing cupboard).
However, does anyone know a supplier of such glass?
Christian.
Most glass suppliers can get sand blasted glass which looks like plain acid etched and there are all sorts of speciality glass available just go and ask.
cheers Jacob

Do you know if it can be toughened? I don't fancy shard type glass in a shower.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

I think my local glaziers provide anything you like in toughened form; and they certainly have a good range of opaque stuff.
Surely the half-mirror-finish won't be any good though? AIUI the mirror effect only works when the side behind the mirror is at a lower light level than the other side, which won't be the case if you're putting lightbulbs behind it.
David

The idea is that it looks like a dark mirror when the lights are off, but would be transmissive to the lights when they are on. It would need a diffuser as well so that you don't just see the light fittings in all their glory.
I would suggest that something 25% reflective, 70% transmissive, 5% opaque would be ideal. However, I doubt it is possible to easily locate such an item.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Use laminated glass.
Chris Bacon wrote:

That's just silly - going up an order of magnitude in cost for no additional benefit.
--
Grunff

Christian McArdle said the following on 17/01/2006 17:07:

I guess your idea for sealed-at-the-front light fittings would be similar to a swimming pool solution. You might want to investigate along those lines.
You should be able to order suitable toughened and heat-resistant glass from your local glazier. I imagine they would arrange for it to be sand blasted or etched as well.
Half-silvered security glass (i.e. "transmissive slightly mirrored") would normally be toughened, but the coating would not necessarily be heat resistant.
You could try http://www.birchdaleglass.com if you get stuck elsewhere.
HTH

Why do you want lighting?
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:

So he can see any obtuse questions before they hit him?
--
Cheers,

John.

Because my aim is bad enough to start with. Doing it in the pitch black would not improve things.
Christian.

LOL!
Perhaps a ring light on the rim is the answer :-) I believe you can get little fluorescent stick-on geegaws ...
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Or wear a ring flash designed for a camera... ideal for that stop motion effect ;-)
(although not sure I would fancy the 300V is such close proximity - that could wake you up with a jolt!)
--
Cheers,

John.

Unfortunately, there is a shower in the room, and the toilet rim is in Zone 3. I believe that 300V would not be allowed.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Interesting question - most ring flash units will be battery powered (even if the battery does run and inverter/charge pump etc to achieve the strike voltage for the flash).
What regs (if any) are there concerning use of battery equipment in a special location?
--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle wrote:

Is there nothing one can swallow that would give luminous pee?
Owain

Berocca gives an effect that's probably best described as "dayglo"
--

Richard Sampson

mail me at