Tomato ain't producing fruit!

Hi all,

I hope some one here can help. I have a tomato plant (Japanese Triple Black) and it's been putting out flowers...but after a couple weeks the flowers shrivel up and die instead of producing fruit. I thought tomatoes were self pollinating. No? What should I do to induce it to produce fruit? The plant is very healthy otherwise. I've been giving it 1-5-5 organic fert and kelp in small doses.

Thanks,

Layne

Reply to
Layne

I've had that problem in the past. It was usually related to the weather being too cool & wet.... If you're ANYWHERE in western North America, that has been the trend this season. I'm not farmilliar with the specific variety... Did you buy it as a seedling or start from seed? What has your local weather been like?

Cheers Mathew

Reply to
Mathew in the Mountains

Not surprising in this summer heat wave.

Tomatoes need cool nights in order to set fruit.

If the night temperature is too high, the flowers will spontaneously abort no matter what you do.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

What if you have 8 trillion cherry tomatoes, all green, and the plant keeps making more but not ripening any? Upstate NY, zone 5-6-ish, plenty of nice hot weather, good rain twice a week, plants caged, 7 feet tall (really). Nice, fertile soil, pH=6.2 last week. I've heard pruning some branches away helps. Myth?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

No myth.... Prune heavily, especially those shoots that come out between the main branch & the leaf @ a 45 degree angle. Sounds like your cherry tom is 'indeterminate' which means it will flower till it dies. By pruning new flowering shoots, you help the allready set fruit to ripen faster.

Cheers Mathew

Reply to
Mathew in the Mountains

Thanks, Mathew. In prior years, it didn't matter because I also planted early varieties. But I had limited space this year. Meanwhile, I have tons of basil, and no tomatoes. The orgy must begin, but it requires tomatoes to complete the equation. :-)

Did you know you could put pesto on everything, including cereal? :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug! What are you doing in this newsgroup!! Small world!! :)

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Annoying people, as always, and sometimes asking good questions. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'm attempting to show people how little I know about anything, is it working?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Pesto on cereal?!? LOL.

Seriously, have you tried freezing pesto?

Someone on this group (sorry, I forgot who posted it) suggested making it up

*without* the Parmesan cheese, then spooning it into ice cube trays. Once frozen, pop the cubes out and put them into a freezer bag or freezer storage container. Easy to remove the amount you want, add Parmesan cheese once it thaws.

I tried it this year for the first time, and although I still have fresh basil, I tried some of the frozen pesto two days ago to see how it was. It was just like fresh - bright green and everything! Granted it's only been frozen for a month or so, but I am very encouraged.

In fact, I think I am going to go give my basil plants another "haircut" today because my ice cube trays are looking lonely...

Laura

Reply to
Laura

Right. The cheese loses taste and gets gooey when it defrosts. Try a good Romano, too, and walnuts instead of pine nuts, for a little variety.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Actually you show that you know a lot about a lot!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I know how to shoot dogs.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Dogs? really? glad you are on the side of the gun owners!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

You only need to have a dog dig up your lettuce seedlings once, in order to see that they have no place in a civilized society. Fortunately, we have an old law in this town which says that any animal can be "liquidated" if it's destroying food crops. I've only had to print this law, ask to have a cop meet me at the offending owner's house, and read them the law, in order to stop offenders. It's worked wonderfully (so far).

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I guess that explains it. I live in Los Angeles. For a while the weather's been warm with cool nights. But lately due to the ridge of high pressure to the east and the hurricane to the southeast we've been having hot, muggy nights...and days.

Thanks,

Layne

Reply to
Layne

Hi Mathew,

I bought the tomato plant as a seedling. I've had a chance to sample a slice from another Japanese variety called Momotaro with a pinch of salt. It was heaven! Now, if I can get *my* plant to fruit...some of the other tomato varieties at the nursery I got this one from did and have set fruit. The other 3x black plant there was in the same condition as this one so maybe my problem might be culitvar specific too.

Thanks,

Layne

Reply to
Layne

As always...

Reply to
G Henslee

Talking to yourself again?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If I were, as opposed to talking to you, at least I would be talking to someone with intelligence.

Reply to
G Henslee