Tomato Fruit Size

Hi Everybody,

This season for me involves "Monymaker" type/breed tomatoes. And, here in the southern hemisphere, we are just approaching autumn. I have many green fruits, and have eaten a few (small) ripe ones.

So, I am wondering...

When is the ultimate/maximum size shown for the fruits on this variety?

For example, when they change colour, have they already reached their maximum size? Is the growth only going on when they are green?

Or would they continue to grow in size, if I left them on the plant after the colour change?

And how does this relate to a variety being Determinate or Indeterminate?

Thanks... (Bite, Yum!)

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In my experience, when the tomato fruit starts changing color, it will not grow any larger.

This is true for both determinate and indeterminate plants.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra

Hi Antipodean Bucket Farmer,

When the tomatoes turn red they have reached their maximum size. I you leave them on the vine too long they will begin to over ripen an rot. If you will be shipping them, pick them as soon as they turn red Tomatoes will continue to ripen off the vine.

From this site:

" Indeterminate: grow as a cordon and use a stake to provide suppor for the plants. Remove the lateral (side) stems to encourage the growt of one single fruiting stem.

Determinate: these varieties grow as a bush and do not require pinchin out or supporting. You may wish to place some straw or other materia beneath any fruits that touch the ground.

Semi-determinate: these varieties are in-between and should be grown a a bush with some support."

Moneymaker is indeterminate so the plant will keep growing in height i you keep picking.

New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt