Q : Tomato seed date in Scotland?

This year I am trying container tomatoes for the very first time. I have been recommended three varieties but was wondering when to start the seeds...

Variety 1 : Paul Robeson (will have a cage) indeterminate 75 days Variety 2 : Patio Orange determinate 52 days Variety 3 : Gold Nugget determinate 55 days

They will be seeded in unheated propagator trays with 3" pots indoors They will be transplanted to 5" pots to increase in size indoors They will be gradually hardened off on fine days where possible They will be transplanted to 14" terracotta pots on a sheltered west facing wall

I am in Edinburgh, a coastal town on the east side of southern Scotland. We are still having frosts. My questions are...

  1. When should I start my seeds?
  2. When should I aim to have them outdoors?
  3. Do I need to start a second crop of the Patio Orange/Gold Nugget to last me the season - will each crop all in one rush or staggered throughout the season?

Thanks for the help folks.

Reply to
HelixStalwart

Sorry if this is a double post, but my ISP hasn't listed my first post in the newsgroup after 12 hours.

[...]

Hi Helix, I don't know what your growing season is like but let me give you an idea what I do.

I live in Zone 5 Canada. I will be starting my seeds next month and after they get going and getting thier true second leaves I will be transfering them into a bigger pot but I will be snipping off the first leaves and burying the plant on an angle till only the top leaves are showing. I will be doing this again later on as well. It helps the stems grow stronger and less spiney.

then when I am ready to put out in the garden late May (start of my growing season) I will do the same thing again just not planted as deep as the first time or two ( plant on angle) but since you are planting them into a pot just set them a little deeper.

Reply to
Lynn