The Torbeck Valve? (GRRRRR!)

Is there any long-term solution to the regular trouble given by these when they won't shut off; maybe by replacement with the traditional ball valve and float?

Reply to
gareth

I would suggest that if a Torbeck Valve doesn't shut off because of a build up of limescale or contamination from grit/rust in your water system a ball/float would suffer similar problems.

Reply to
alan

Maybe, but there are greater shuttinf off forces in a ball valve, and it is a good deal easier to understand and to deal with.

Reply to
gareth

I have SIAMP valves in my toilets.

Due to their design, when the washer fails, they don't appear to actually overflow, they just take days to fill instead......

Its very annoying when the second person can't flush so soon after the first person has flushed....

Reply to
Stephen

They fail to shut off because a particle of lime has lodged in one of the two tiny holes in the diaphragm. So strip down and clean. There should be a filter to prevent this which needs regular cleaning.

And/or get a water softener.

Reply to
harryagain

Not necessarily. Torbeck valve are extremely susceptible to tiny bits of muck stopping them working. Old fashioned ball valves are pretty much bomb proof.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And what householder is going to shut off the supply, disconnect the inlet, remove the filter, clean it, replace it & reconnect?

It ain't gonna happen in the real world.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The downstairs bog has a ball valve and hasn't given any rouble for years.

Reply to
gareth

Yes, a regular soaking in white vinegar together with a dress maker's pin to poke through the holes.

But there's only one tiny hole in the diaphragm, the other tiny hole is open or shut by the float mechanism.

The whole thing is reminiscent of the SU carburettor

Reply to
gareth

Oops! Neither trouble nor Russian currency!

Reply to
gareth

Vastly over complicated. There were nothing wrong with good old ball valve!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not that much more complicated than a ball valve. I've not had any problems with any torbeck valve, ball valves on the other hand, grit in the nozzle, worn out washers, lime scaled up, ...

Apart from the noise and slow filling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes agreed. Why reinvent the wheel and make it square?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

When next doors failed it was open very slightly - just enough to notice. With the overflow being internal it can be difficult to see, although a piece of tissue against the back of the pan (an hour or so after flushing, to let it dry) is a simple test.

Mine fills in about a minute - not soon enough for a pee, but that's not too important.

Reply to
PeterC

make it triangular - fewer bumps.

Reply to
PeterC

True. Also won't work at low pressures. The other stupid object is those continental "flapper valves". Whic are not "fail safe".

Reply to
harryagain

The Medway Handyman wrote in news:ggCEu.19$ snipped-for-privacy@fx31.am:

The old ball valves and syphons were standard, robust and simple. We now have loads of foreign made devices with no standard operating method. We are doomed Mr Mannering!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Quality ball c*ck valves disappeared from the sheds many years ago to be replaced with shoddily manufactured items.

I've had fewer problems with Torbeck (type) valves that I've had with the older ball c*ck type valves.

Reply to
alan