The Fugi silicone tool

In June I have been programmed by Mrs Pounder to replace the less than four year old silicone around the bath. It has cracked in a couple of places, probably due to walls being knocked down and timber drying out. It has taken me 60 years to realise that I am crap with applying silicone, but I have found the Fugi silicone tool.

it any good or is it s**te?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I find it very good. Keep a big roll of kitchen tissue and wipe of the tool frequently. After a meter or two's worth of work, I also find it useful to wipe off with a drop of meths on the tissue - seems to clear the dried film buildup from the tool which keeps it working without dragging.

Reply to
Tim Watts

WHS

It turned my efforts from rubbish to quite good. Worth every penny IMHO.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

Meths or white spirit? I have future use for white spirit, I will only drinks the meths before the job is done.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Thanks. I have watched professionals with a silicone gun, they make it look so easy.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I use a teaspoon dipped in water. Anything that doesn't change shape as you use it (eg a finger).

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Very good IME... (although I seem to use mine backwards - still works though!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I want the perfect 90 degree line. Thank you for your reply.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You want or she wants:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It is looking like I will have to open my wallet. But not to those bastards at B&Q.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I was waiting for you Adam. Medway will hopefully be here soon. I have been putting this job off for ages, but there comes a time. Mrs Pounder is away for a week and is taking the bloody dog with her. The finished product has to be perfect. I will also be taking the bath panel off as I suspect there could be a spider living there. I hate spiders!

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Pounder wants. B-)

A perfect 90 degree internal angle is not really feasable and will be a trap for soap scum and mould. Far better to have a radius of some sort, easier to clean, easier to do.

Aldi or Lidl do a "Fugenboy" clone set, for about a fiver. Haven't seen them recently though. I've got a set seem to work must see if I can find 'em as they might be useful for all the skirting filling I have to do. Mind you I quite like my finger provided there isn't anything sharp. Nothing worse than blood in your silicone.

When siliconing against tiles I find the hardest bit is not getting a little doink in the silicone at every grout line.

Pull youself together man. BTW if there are any spiders in there the chances are there will be more than one. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They may not like you:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's why I use a spoon, holind it at a constant angle it goes over the grout lines obliquely, so that it can't dip into it.

Looking at the Fugi-things you can probably do this with them by holding them at an angle to the direction of travel.

(As a mushroomy person, I dived in thinking this thread was on something else ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Got mine from plumbworld IIRC. There is also a set called Fueenboy from Elch. Not quite as nice (slightly harder plastic), but they do some small handy ones for round the back of taps etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. The posher Fugi also comes with a second set in orange that have plastic "skis" that can be attached for when you need to pass smoothly over sets of intersecting grout lines on both axis.

Reply to
John Rumm

Honestly, the Fugi is so much better and easier - hard to explain exactly how without actually using it. But evryuone I've heard of that's used one swears by it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I got my angles mixed up. I meant 45 degrees.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Sorry I'm late, got caught in traffic.

These things are the dogs b*ll*cks.