The Fugi silicone tool

Er, no it`s modified silane:

presumably the modification looses some of its toxic effects:

me confused...

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Our chemistry teacher told us silane pretty much blows up as soon you make it. And whilst, in theory silicon could be as versatile as carbon for forming complex molecules, it wasn't suited to our temperatures/pressures making silicon based lifeforms unviable, despite the best efforts of Star Trek to convince us otherwise ("dammit Jim, I'm Doctor, not a bricklayer!").

Reply to
Tim Watts

I find using a finger means the finish is not a good which encourages mould growth.

Reply to
Mark

It's covered in "A Martian Odyssey" by Stanley Weinbaum. The silicon creatures have to excrete SiO2 as carbon based units excrete CO2. Unfortunately SiO2 is a solid so the creatures lay glass bricks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Adam Aglionby wrote: [snip]

Which is no longer silane. If we substitute an alcohol group onto methane we call it methanol not "modified methane".

It's what happens when you allow marketing droids near chemistry.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hmm. Unlike you I readily admit I am not a chemist, but everything I have = read and got a shallow understanding of suggests that the S in the MS is si= lane, not silyl. =20

Are you quite short? You sound like you might be. I don't mind the odd st= uds-up clattering tackle, but you do have to be careful - if you miss compl= etely you end up looking like a bit of a dick.

Try p283 onwards as a little taster,

search on silane modified polymer, to educate yourself further. = =20

Wait, you might even come up with the technical brochure for your favourite= Evostick Nail & Seal which states:

"Evo-Stik Nail & Seal is a high performance, single component, moisture cur= ing, modified silyl (MS) polymer based adhesive and sealant."

Oh, wait, sorry, silly me, no it doesn't. It says silane.

ine >sealant on boats.

Good for you. I don't recall seeing that in my local B&Qs at that time, bu= t I may have missed it - I only noticed when the Serious Stuff range was in= troduced. I wouldn't myself buy it there on price grounds, then or now, un= less caught out without a spare tube.

Quite often it doesn't (like the Evostick serious stuff IIRC).

True. I don't bottom feed on things like sealant which are a real pain to = replace if they fail.

Reply to
boltmail

I say it stands for "modified silicone"

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Read a little more than the manufacturer's blurb and get a little more than a shallow understanding, in that case.

No, are you stupid[1]?

When did you hear me speak? When did being short have an effect on how someone speaks? Are you a prat[1]?

As did you, just now. But it's OK, I forgive you. I may laugh at you a bit as you fall over your clown feet but I'm sure that's the effect you are trying for.

[snip drivel]

Yes, it's a common misconception that a silyl group is silane. However a silyl group is a silicon molecule with a hydrocarbon chain or hydrogen at positions 1,2,3 and with an alkoxy group bonded at position 4. This is very different to silane which is SiH4.

In information packs for trade users there's little point going into chemistry since point and grunt is about as good as they get.

[snip waffle]

[1] rhetorical question.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Given we started off discussing what the trade nomenclature "MS Polymer" stands for, I think you are stressing too much. But thanks anyway, it's made me read some interesting stuff.

Bayer drivel will do me. Mere trade though they may be.

boltmail

Conversely, I find a finger to be just the thing. Practice is all it takes.

Reply to
grimly4