The best electric rotary mower for a stripey finish

Im looking for an electric rotary mower for a small (50m2) lawn which will give the best striped finish. Any recommendations? So far the i've found the Bosh Rotax 40 and the Flymo Multimo 360 XC. They both have rollers but are they anygood at giving a striped finish. Is an electric mower even heavy enough to get a striped finish even if it has a roller?

Reply to
paulbeddybedford

The roller will give the desired result irrespective of the type of cutter being rotary or reel.

If you want to be *really* fastidious then also purchase a scarifier to remove the debris in the sward to increase air circulation at the grass leaf roots, improve growth by removing dead foliage and weeds and *then* mow lightly to around 1½" leaf height throughout the year.

A good combined feed/weed reducer applied at the manufacturers intervals will improve the density of the sward somewhat and produce even better effects.

My lawn (dog exercise area) is never cut lower than 1½" at any time, remains green all year round and suffers from little weed or browning at all. Next doors on the other hand who mows to root level believing he's getting a better effect and cut has dead areas and scalping which look awful and reduce the sward regeneration rate significantly.

I worried that the roller on a 13kg mower will just not be heavy enough to flatten the blades of graa though to get the striped effect

Reply to
paulbeddybedford

even if you do, it only lasts a couple of days

Reply to
Vass

The grass will naturally return to it's preferred growing direction irrespective of what you do. A light rolling would keep the sward looking good, you can even do it without cutting using the mower, although you might get some strange looks from the neighbours ;-)

Thanks for you help guys. my understanding is then that a roller should give a striped finish but you have to mow it regularlry to maintain it.

Reply to
paulbeddybedford

Wouldn't using a roller instead of a mower-roller be easier? I have vague memories of a plastic roller that could be water-filled for weight, but emptied for easy manoeuvrebility when not in use.

Ah, here we are

the cricket pitch used to be a schoolboy punishment in the sort of schools that had cricket pitches.

Owain

Reply to
Owain