Electric Mower

I've finally gone and done it. Reserving my riding mower for the larger expanse of my back yard, I'm replacing my old gas-powered semi-effectively self-propelled walk behind mower with a spanking new electric model for the smaller front yard.

I am a glutton for punishment. Even with COPD, I still push a mower just for the hell of it AND because it's easier in small areas. It's feels like Hell's own work to do it, but it's ultimately good for me. It'll be even better for me when I'm not blasting my rotator cuff with a pull start or tanking up on engine fumes with every step. It's also quieter, easier to adjust cutting height, and makes infinitely less noise than Ol' Shaky.

It's corded. I don't mind. My trimmer extension cord reaches the length and breadth of both the front and back yards, so I know the mower will get out there on the same cord. And I'm not worried about tangling the cord or running it over. I learned to operate a vacuum cleaner eons ago and can thread its cord cunningly through the house during various death-defying maneuvers, and I haven't severed it nor electrocuted, tripped, garroted, snared or hung myself with it even once. My confidence level re an electric lawn mower is high!

How nice it will be to mow without that gas engine racket!

Now if they would just get to work on an electric riding mower.

Reply to
Pennyaline

It's called the Electric Ox, get out your checkbook!

Val

They've been around since the '70s--plan on spending about $12,000.

lists a number of models with links to some of the manufacturers (scroll down to get to the riders). Most of the ones currently available seem to be general purpose small tractors with mower attachments being only one capability.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I second this they do exist. I have a John Deere E90 from 1974. It still runs great and I actually have stopped traffic while I mowed, becuase it looks different than normal riding mowers and its quiet. People stop and ask what it is. They really should go back to making these.

-Margaret

Reply to
Margaret St. John

On Apr 13, 11:45=EF=BF=BDpm, Pennyaline wrote= :

Electric mowers typically operate at higher decibels than petrol models, also at higher pitch so much more annoying and ear damaging... be sure to wear quality ear protection... shooter's muffs are hot but they work. If your petrol mower is excessively loud ask yourself when you last replaced the muffler, few people ever spend the $3,99 for a new muffler each season.

And the cord will be much more of a hassle in smaller more crowded areas... you'd be better off using the electric for your larger area and get a small light weight gas push mower for your front yard, and don't even think about self propelled for a small area, serves no real purpose over short distances and just adds a lot of extra weight and maintenance.

Many years ago I bought a Black & Decker electric mower (cost like $50 back then), used it once and relegated it to the shed, eventually gave it away... mowing with a wire is a lot different from hedge trimming with a wire... with mowing you move along a lot faster than with hedge trimming, the wire is one big PIA. They do make rechargeable battery operated electric mowers but I never looked into those. Electric mowers are also a lot more dangerous, be absolutely certain to disable it from the power source before even looking underneath. Maybe now they have better safety features but my B & D had an ordinary toggle switch, very easy to brush against and turn the unit on, for safety it had to be unplugged manually every time it was turned off... and make sure the switch was off before plugging in. I really see no advantage to an electric mower... won't save on fuel either, electric ain't free. The *only* advantage I can think of is not having to store gasolene, but you will be using that rider so...

Reply to
Sheldon

I use a Ryobi rechargeable electric and it is MUCH quieter than a gas or electric model. Neighbors comment on how quiet it is.

About 10 - 15 years ago rechargeable electrics where the "hot new thing". Now it is seems that no one makes them. I wonder why? Mine has been very reliable (two 12 volt batteries need to be changed about every 5 years). For small yards they are great. With new battery and electric motor technology they would likely be even better. And, it seems that there is a real market for them.

Reply to
Bill R

My mowers are serviced every fall after the mowing season ends. Whatever needs to be replaced gets replaced. The neighbors have corded electrics and they operate at a whisper compared to the gas mower, even when it was new and in top form.

I can't push a mower, any mower, through my larger back yard. That's specifically why I have a rider. And I already have a small light weight gas push mower for the smaller front yard. It's the one I'm replacing with the electric, 'cuz it's a killer. It's too heavy to push and maneuver easily, it gets really hard to function in its carbon monoxide wake, and because I must stop frequently and sometimes for protracted periods when mowing with a walk behind it is outrageously inconvenient when I must stop and start the engine continually. A CO-less electric with quick and easy on and off function is the way to go for me when it comes to walk behinds.

I'm not what I used to be, Sheldon, and I don't move very fast anymore. Keeping track of a cord is pretty easy for one who needs to stop as often as I do.

Twenty pounds heavier, and up to four hundred dollars more depending on the make and model.

Yes, Dad.

Okay, Dad.

I will, Dad.

Electricity ain't free but these days it's a damn sight cheaper than shelling out for gasoline. Moreover, I'm in Utah, the land of perpetual sunshine. Solar energy is a reality here.

The walk behind was used more than the rider, so eliminating it should make a difference in how much gasoline I have to purchase just to store it. And HOT DAMN! I know I can't afford them, but I'm off to ogle those battery-powered riders!

Reply to
Pennyaline

I briefly owned an electric mower and it was worthless. I forget the brand. But for rough ground or areas of long grass I think all are likely to be equally worthless. For a dinnertable sized lawn kept perfectly manicured at all times an electric would probably do.

The cord was an impossible nuisance as well. You WILL eventually run over it and sparks will fly. I never used one with a rechargeable battery pack, though. That'd be essential before I ever even samples the use of one again, as the cord has GOT to not be there.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Thanks for the vote of confidence, everyone. Of course your experience will be my experience too.

Meanwhile, I'll be off doing what I have to do. These are the compromises I make to keep going. I hope when it's your turn, you get as much support as you've given here.

Reply to
Pennyaline

Some good old friends of mine had an electric Black & Decker mower I used when their lawn needed mowing and I was watching the house. It did an okay job, typical subdivision property/lot. You need to start mowing close to where the cord comes from. Then you go back & forth moving away from the cord source so it is laying on what has already been mowed. This particular mower had what I'll call a flopper bar that held the cord off to the side a bit. Each time you reached the end you turned and flopped the bar & cord to the other side. A bit of an extra fling on the cord was helpful. Later models had the handles centrally mounted and you just flopped the whole handlebar assembly over, never turning the mower around. Just go to what was the front of the mower and push in the opposite direction. Using a bagger with it was really annoying, putting up with the cord was tolerable without bagging too.

Learning how to best mow with a trailing power cord will be your most difficult chore. Usually they come with good directions for this, read and follow them. Once you get the hang of that you'll be okay :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I talked (sort of) before my ability to vacuum with deftness that beggars belief. The motions and movements you're describing here are the blood and bone of those of us who use upright vacuum cleaners. We learned to avoid power cords looooong ago.

Honestly, I am not worried about the cord! I'm worried about desaturating with exertion, huffing exhaust and being forced to make frequent stops while working. Thus my choice of an easy start, economical start, low emissions, lightweight electric mower.

Reply to
Pennyaline

I have previously used a light weight electric lawn mower and was able to manage the cord too as I'm sure you will manage and I wish you luck.

It is too late now anyway but I love my Honda 5HP Self Propelled which is a walk behind mower with 2 speeds and I always use low speed.

Reply to
Vastmasd