Shrinking Fence

I had a closeboard fence built last year, triple morticed with wooden posts. I've noticed that there is now about a quarter inch gap between the post and the vertical board adjacent to each side of the post as if the board has shrunk. There is a 1 inch overlap on each board but don't know if these have shunk. Would the closeboarding shrink that much? I believe the wood was treated but has not been painted.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Simple answer Dave is yes - especially if the boards had recently been treated and had a fairly high moisture content at the time of fitting and the are where you live has been relatively dry and windy.

The size of the gaps are probably a combination of the shrinkage of the post and boards.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

"they all do that sir"