Telephone Question...

They just didn't apply it ruthlessly enough.

Reply to
Huge

No, you aren't capable of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suppose there is scope there for using dedicated IP handsets, but doing away with the IP PBX (or most of it) altogether and using software only on a dedicated PC. That would circumvent many of the performance issues that dog complete end to end software VoIP setups. Having said that you may well find that a suitable PC + software is not going to be much cheaper than a IP PBX.

Yup - the only other benefit might be for comms to a branch office. If you already have VPN up and running then you can have inter office voice for "free"

Reply to
John Rumm

Pah, _everybody_ knows that the size of telephone wires is measured in lb/mile.

Reply to
Andy Wade

What even IMM? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Err - you need an exception to prove every rule. I rest my case.

Reply to
Andy Wade

ton/mile thank you.

Reply to
IMM

Of course in the context of this question that whole DECT/PABX debate is a completely useless diversion. What a surprise.

The OP _has_ a PABX.

The OP wants to connect it up and get it working.

The OP has 2 lines and presumably doesn't want to go to the expense of buying a higher-end DECT system that is capable of handling two lines, or installing two DECT base units, registering all the handsets with both, and educating members of family on how to switch between them when they wish to make calls.

The OP also wants to install the PABX as a practical means of training to break into the small office telecoms market.

Given all that why on earth would he want to ditch the PABX and spend more money on a DECT setup???

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

...but didn't say for what reason. If he only wanted what a DECT system can provide, then it may have been better to sell the pbx and buy DECT.

If someone asked: I have a 500 litre unvented cylinder, how do I connect it? And he is only a pensioner and his wife, then I would say: sell it and get a

120 litre one or equiv heat bank. You have to find out what they "need" not "want".
Reply to
IMM

"diehard" springs to mind here......

I'm not sure that there is a ready market on Ebay for pensioners' wives.

You probably would suggest such a money losing proposition as selling what he has.

Actually knowing both makes the most sense. I know that it may not suit your ethos of a world where what people do is subject to dictat, but funnily enough for most people "want" is a perfectly valid reason to do something provided that it also addresses "need".

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

When did the logic of anything penetrate IMM's 'circuits'? He's programmed to give the same answers to a few key words. Regardless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You are the one who wants a Stalinist planning and land owning system. I want freedom. Also we need freedom.

If want counters need then need is supreme. Many people "want" underfloor heating, yet what they need is a heat recovery and vent system.

Reply to
IMM

This may be true in a sales situation but not here. If I want to blow all my cash on an Intense Spider or a Klein Q-Pro who's to say I shouldn't, even if there's no doubt I don't NEED either?

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Quite.

Added to that that none of the DECT phones (that I can find) on the argos site has any mention of multiple-line support.....

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Uncle Joe bears zero relevance to the current discussion.

One fairly good definition of freedom is the ability to do whatever one likes as long as a) it does not conflict with the equal right of others and b) that one is prepared to accept the consequences of one's actions.

Within the context of that, if someone "wants" to have something and it does not violate the two principles above then freedom is for them to have it.

That is a matter of choice for the individual. They can go for something that they want even if they don't need it.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore nobody "needs" either.

It is only you who thinks that people "need" heat recovery stuff because it's the "next thing" on eco web sites.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is so. But when someone asks a question, you need to dig deeper to make sure they are on the right track. Some people who ask questions have little knowledge of what they are inquiring about. If they know the choices then they can spend, spend, for no apparent reason for eternity as far as I am concerned.

Reply to
IMM

It is? Which ones?

Reply to
IMM

I'm sure you know, because undoubtedly the URLs are in your favourites index if not in your clipboard along with the tripe from Kevin Whatsisname and Paxo.

If it isn't, then I'm not going to tell you because we'll be hearing it like a broken record for the next six months.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"IMM" wrote | > > Pah, _everybody_ knows that the size of telephone wires is | > > measured in lb/mile. | ton/mile thank you.

IN the early days using open o/h wire, local lines were wired in 40 or 70 lb per mile. Later underground lines were in 10 lb or 6 1/2 lb per mile. Overhead trunk lines were wired in 800 lb per mile in a number of cases to give the required tranmission before valve amplifiers.

Atkinson never refers to ton/mile however.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They are? None in mine mate. What are they?

You made all that up.

Reply to
IMM