Telephone Question...

Er no. You have the base unit and the phones just the same. They take up space.

Which then involves siting it near a mains outlet

For basic facilities there is little or no difference in cost. Efficacy of DECT depends on the RF conditions where the phone is used.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

.. depending on the application.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

But not everything people might need, if a PXB and a DECT system cost the same (and for the little wiring required) it seems pointless to go for a DECT system as you will have to replace it if and when your needs grow. There is also the security issues involved in wireless systems, it's far to easy for others to listen in to wireless coms....

Reply to
Jerry.

The one with an NTE already isn't a problem, other than you messing with BTs property/wiring. The other one now has an illicit NTE rather than being regularised. Only BT (or other licensed operators) are allowed to fit NTEs.

Why would you want to? Fit the NTEs next to the PBX and you only need two pairs (in CW1308) to bring the lines to the NTEs. Your PBX might not need the seperate ringing/anti-tinkle wire either.

There are risks of multiple NTEs or master sockets, search back in here say the last month, maybe less.

There is an excellent site that is mentioned nearly everytime a telephone wiring question comes up. But I can't remember the URL...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

?

Reply to
Jerry.

In relation to DECT you can't just walk into Maplin and buy a receiver that will pick up and decode any DECT transmission within range. The link is digital, all an ordinary scanner will get is noise.

DECT is far better security wise than the old analogue cordless phones where tuning up to the top of the MW band on almost any radio with MW would do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not IMM. He doesn't understand any form of electrics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Does he understand anything ?!...

Reply to
Jerry.

"IMM" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > "Andy Hall" wrote | > | They don't have Strowger switches and Uniselectors these days | > | you know. | > Sad, isn't it. | You want them back?

Back?

I haven't progressed that far yet, I'm still on Herbert & Procter book 1.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote | "IMM" wrote: | >A DECT will offer the basics most people would ever want. | .. depending on the application.

"And in a two-line household, just have two DECT phones. That way, you can have different lines ringing upstairs and downstairs by leaving the handsets in different places.

"Useful insurance in case one stops working.

"And two single-line DECT phones will be a lot cheaper than a multi-line business DECT system.

A win, win, situation."

I can see it now ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Dave Liquorice" wrote | > Give me a nice simple corded phone any day... | It all started going down hill when they fitted dials. B-)

URPeterStrangmanAICM5P :-)

Occasionally I amuse myself asking BT to send me a new dialling codes card for the drawer on my telephone, because TRUnks has stopped working.

Of course, since the call centres were outsourced to India, the proportion of agents who know what I'm talking about has actually increased :-)

Why isn't all this on news:uk.telecom ?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, it doesn't.

A DECT system is severly limited in what it can and cannot do, an PBX system (such as the one i'm putting in) can be easily and quickly upgraded to future technologies thanks to the structured cabling. I've run CAT5 to each socket, and although atm they are BT sockets, i can easily pop those off and punch on an RJ45 socket. At the other end the lead's an RJ45 Plug. The PBX extensions are neatly bundled up into a trunk of 8 cables, and are punched down to the patch panel. That allows me to quickly and easily renumber the extensions.

Conventional off the shelf DECT phones can't cope with multiple lines, only expensive high end ones can do this, and these typically interact with an PBX anyway to give you stuff like CTI and LCR, as well as VoiceMail etc.

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

BTW. What's TRUnks? I haven't heard of that one. Does it have to do with some of the early dialling codes being derived from the first letters of the place name?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nope. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Peter Parry's pages?

Specifically

James Hart

But you must always wire each handset directly back to the exchange using 45mm sq SWA cable. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Hallelujah!! You have seen the simple light. You can have up 4 or 5 DECT phones on one line.

Reply to
IMM

Ah, I see that even babies and infants are not exempt from stealth taxes in Bliars Nu Britten...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He IS capabale of wiring, if the wires are all taken out of their sheaths and individually labelled :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

what trailing wires? You man you DIDn't build your house with proper cable ducting for structuired cables?

Amateur.

Ah. And teh charger cradles don't have trailing wires?

You only buy a DECT if soke smart slaeman with a bunch of gloosy literature sells you one. Otherwise you get a PABX.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher