Time to top-up with fernox?

After having removed and remounted the third inadequately mounted radiator in this house, it occurred to me that maybe the system should be topped up with inhibitor. Does the loss of 3 radiators-worth of water in the system mean it will need topping-up?

Thanks, Neil

Reply to
Neil Bush

Very likely.

A bit late now, I know - but if it's a vented system containing inhibitor, it pays to save the water you drain out and pour it[1] back into the F&E tank immediately before bleeding radiators after re-fitting. [Don't do it sooner than that, or there's a danger you'll either over-fill the F&E tank so that it either overflows or the vent pipe dips into the water].

[1] Well, 99% of it after it's settled
Reply to
Roger Mills

Interesting that the Gas registered fitter who commissioned boiler ... advised he never bothers with Fernox ... 'waste of money' ...

I did, he thought it pointless.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I was told by a local plumber's merchant that while Fernox used to be the best inhibitor, it had to change following EU rules. It is now simply trading on its name - others are just as good, and cheaper.

Reply to
charles

Alas there are some fitters out there who assume that a sealed system won't corrode at all due to their being no source of fresh oxygen once whatever was dissolved in the fill water has come out of suspension.

While the latter part is mostly true and you will certainly get less corrosion overall, it ignores the fact that there are other corrosion processes that will take place which are not directly as a result of just oxidisation of the metals.

John Rumm

on repairs latter. Its like using WD40 to lubricate stuff.. you know they will be calling back to lubricate the stuff in a few months.

Reply to
dennis

I find that Sentinel seems to work equally well and is somewhat cheaper.

Fernox do some concentrated versions with novel packaging to make it easier to use, like one designed for sealed systems in a sealant gun type tube, that can be pumped into a bleed valve without as much faffing about.

Having said that, the easiest to use on a sealed system are the ones in a pressurised aerosol can. You hook them up to the filling loop non return valve, and they empty themselves into the system without any need to drain space in a rad first.

Reply to
John Rumm