Talk Talk Internet not working.

We've got TT broadband and phone, the phone works fine but there has been no Internet access for weeks, TT don't reply to e-mails and we can't get through to their technical support on the phone. The lights on the ADSL modem indicate that the connection is working, and their website says there are no faults in our area. I've tried the fault procedures on the website, but the situation is still the same.

So what's up with TT, and how can I get it working again?

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Can't understand you putting up with that sort of service. Have they taken your money? Anyway I would have been long gone by now if anyone like that with me.

I'm with Be suggest you move to them they not treat me like that, they look after customers. Regards David

Reply to
David

Fax the MD. Or even just write to them. Explaining you will be withholding payment for the time it hasn't worked after first reporting it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It sounds as if it might well be a local LAN issue. Can you talk to the router? What status does it give on its webpage?

You could try another router and see if you get a connection.

Reply to
Fredxx

Sounds like settings menu. My powerline router came with a CD that allows PC access via ethernet cable and allows fiddling them. There are quite a few to set up and all must be correct.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

Switch the router off for thirty seconds, switch it back on and let it reconnect. If that fails RESET the router, BT can send a stop connecting instruction in the event of a network fault. Access the Router 192.168.1.1 and make sure the password etc is still correct, or run the setup CD you should have from Talk Talk. Try connecting with another PC or Laptop. Try another router.

If all that fails you have no choice but to contact TT, you could ask for a MAC code at this point but that is your choice. Good Luck Martin C

Reply to
Martin C

If the router is indicating that it has ADSL sync (i.e. ADSL/DSL/WAN light flashes at startup, and then goes steady after a short delay), then there are a number of possibilities. Obvious one would be a stale connection. To fix this, turn the router off for half an hour and then power back on, wait a couple of mins and try again.

If that does not fix it, then verify each stage of the connection. First check the PC is acquiring an address from the router. On a windows machine open a command prompt and type:

IPCONFIG

and hit return.

Depending on your windows version you will get something like:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

If it says media disconnected or gives you an IP address starting

169.254.n.n then I would suspect you have a physical connection problem with your router or a malfunctioning / wrongly setup router.

If it looks similar to the above, open a web browser, and type the default gateway address into the address bar. This should take you to the login page for the routers configuration pages. Chances are the default username and password are both "admin".

If you get that far, look for a status page to indicate if you are actually connected to the internet, and check the up and downlink sync speeds.

If you are not connected, check the login credentials are still correctly set. (talktalk login names usually use a login name like: you_phone snipped-for-privacy@talktalk.net). If those are correct, refer to talk talk.

If you are connected, check to see if its a total loss of routing you are suffering or just inability to resolve DNS calls. e.g. try:

ping

from the command line. If you get a "could not find host" message try again with:

ping 209.85.146.104

You should see something like:

Reply from 209.85.146.104: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=55 Reply from 209.85.146.104: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=55 Reply from 209.85.146.104: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=55 Reply from 209.85.146.104: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=55

(or possibly a bunch of request timed out messages).

If the last step fails, its back to talktalk. If the DNS step only fails, you may be able to sidestep the problem by telling your router to use an alternate set of DNS servers. Google do a pair for public use on

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Generally the best solution for talktalk problems is to wait on the premium rate line for long enough to get to a person, request a MAC code, and shift the service to a decent ISP.

TT may offer "free" broadband, but when something breaks its really not worth the price you are paying for it!

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends on which router you have. My speedtouch from Tiscali is

192.168.1.254 and you have to provide the username and passwordpassword. If you don't know them try admin and admin or admin and password.
Reply to
Lawrence

Can't get through ? What do you get? What number are you ringing for their technical support then?

Reply to
Wibble

TalkTalk is pants. Big, flowery pants if you phone them up and talk to Bombay. However, get yourself to:

(think you need your customer number) and post. The forums are maintainted by knowledgeable people in Slough or somewhere similar and they're great at fixing stuff. Unlike the Indians who will simply tell you to switch the modem off and on again until the last tick of recorded time.

Reply to
Scott M

Is there really somewhere similar to Slough?

Reply to
polygonum

Works fine for me.

Agree with that.

Warrington.

clear you browser cache, plug straight into the master socket and whole load of other crap that I knew were nothing to do with my problem.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I made the mistake of migrating 'phone and broadband to talktalk. The router shows sync and everything looks ok but it's like the dns servers don't respond, I keep meaning to ping a known IP but am normally in a rush to get back online. It has to be rebooted every 3-4 days. Just switching on and off is enough. IP address seems to stay the same. I never had this problem before and since have found another talktalk customer on a different exchange with exactly the same problem.

Caller display is erratic and often the number is truncated. I have raised the fault on a number of occasions and have e-mails back saying they have escalated it to a technical department, next I get an e-mail saying as they haven't heard they are closing the fault as solved.

If I thought I had a case for terminating the service I would revert to the previous provider (BT) but as it works and is quicker than BT was for the sake of pushing a button...

OTOH if I still wanted to SSH in to a computer at home I would certainly take some effort to drop them.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Didn't TT take over Tiscali?

ISTR

Reinstall windows

There is a problem in you local exchange that will be fixed within 6 hours

I'll transfer you to a dept which will play you a recorded message that it is closed at present.

Allegedly being passed upwards through about 8 layers of management with the same laughter in the background.

Regret I have no other suggestion than to go to a proper ISP.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I don't pay the bill, apparently for a low monthly charge TT provides free international calls that my housemates make a lot of use of, and Internet isn't charged seperately. They still want Internet service as well though.

The house is wired for cable TV from Virgin Media, which we don't use at present, it's also wired for all sorts of other things that previous occupants have had, so I've got to sort out the various co- axial and twisted pair cable around the place first, as the computer is upstairs.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

OK thanks for that, I've tried all the other stuff already but I'll do what you suggest.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Reading. Newbury. Basingstoke. Milton Keynes.

;-)

Reply to
Scott M

Maybe, but nobody has asked "Friendly bombs" to come and land on them.

Reply to
Davey

Many m

Mancunians think of the 1996 IRA bomb in those terms, although those who were injured (there were no fatalities) may not do so.

Reply to
Graham.

So what did you find? The router is connecting at the DSL level but not logging in? or its logging in and not actually routing traffic?

Reply to
John Rumm