Sunday Opening

I had thought that shops were allowed to open for six hours on a Sunday. Having just visited the local Toolstation, I noticed they advertise (in the shop - which brought it to my attention - and on-line):

Mon - Sat: 0700 - 1900, Sun: 0900 - 1600.

How come they are offering seven hours?

Reply to
polygonum

Our local Morrison's opens at 9, but you can't check out until 10, so you get 7 hours shopping, their cash registers are only open for 6 hours.

Reply to
Davey

I note that Screwfix, only yards around the corner, advertise:

Opening Hours Monday - Friday 7am - 8pm Saturday 8am - 6pm Sunday 10am - 4pm

Reply to
polygonum

Most sh Opening times

Sunday 1000-1600

Reply to
polygonum

The restriction is related to retail floor space, can't remember the figure -

1,500 or 2,000 sq ft? so if you've only got an order desk and a pick-up counter you can open as long as you like. Our local corner shops are open 14 hours on Sundays.
Reply to
The Other John

Does it apply to the likes of them? It does to large supermarkets etc - smaller ones can open when they want.

There's a local large car spares place that is open 24/7.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't remember the exact wording, but it reflects what I reported.

Reply to
Davey

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Ah - Remember when we used to have to plan ahead if we were doing DIY - or we went out into the countryside with our families. what did we do before we had superstores to shuffle around?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Here's the law:

The Other John

In article , The Other John writes

Ah, here we are:

"There are no trading hours restrictions in Scotland." :-D

Reply to
fred

You put Vaseline on the bedroom door handle to stop the kids disturbing your fun.

Reply to
ARW

YBS!!!

For clarity, the thread was about a store very definitely in England. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I it does not, I am a bit surprised that Screwfix don't exploit the fact that they are not covered.

Reply to
polygonum

put some on the inside handle as well for more fun.

Reply to
PeterC

Is it not something to do with the size of the retail area so small shops can compete? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It would put up their staff costs, which is probably why they have their current hours.

Reply to
charles

Sorry, that should have been:

"There are no trading hours restrictions in Scotland." :-P

Reply to
fred

Eight hours on their web site: 9:00AM to 5:00PM. There is no restriction on opening hours if their retail area is less than 280 square metres.

Reply to
Nightjar

Actually

motor factors were one of the exceptions that could open on a Sunday before the new law

tim

Reply to
tim.....

"tim....." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

...and thank goodness for that. Sunday was "fix the car day" New contact points and condensor. Perhaps a oil change.

Reply to
DerbyBorn